51. On The Othersides

.

.

.

Teams of people were working together to clean out a venue. Some were sweeping up popcorn, some pushing away cages, others folding up seatings and taking apart the large tent it was in.

In the centre of it all was a man, who was stretching and decompressing himself after one of his best performances of the season. Draping his red jacket over his arm, he left with a charming smile that drew a sigh out of those watching him and his toned thighs leave.

Wearing fish nets instead of pants during winter was worth it for reactions like those.

He listened to the bustling energy of the circus encampment around him as things were packed and ready for transport. He tried stifling his mirth over the sheer enormity of the operation, but it was near impossible.

Years of planning and hard work were coming together, and in just a few months time it would all finally mean something.

And if those who weren't working, instead choosing to take joy in drinking, smoking, drugs, and other forms of carnal passion meant anything they too agreed that it was something to celebrate.

Eventually, he made his way towards the outskirts of the camp and away from everyone giving cheery waves, bows, and overly flirty greetings towards him. He even had to go out of his way to give a quick piggyback ride to some kids, but he did somehow, miraculously escape.

When he did, a young man dressed in an acrobat's silks came out of the shadows behind him and bowed from the waist, "Master Walraven."

"Please, Tsun, there is no need for formalities between us," the circus ringleader said as he ushered the man up straight. His voice was dry, and his reply was automatic as if he had said this a hundred times before and this was just him acting on instinct.

"You never know when the flock is watching," the other replied with just as much practice before his face turned stony. "I have interesting news regarding Oni's attempts to steal the Etherion."

"So she actually acted, then? As expected, so eager to prove herself," Walraven stated matter of factly. "Did she miraculously succeed?"

"Quite the opposite. There were only a handful of casualties on both sides when she raided the train, and she ended up summoning the Etherious Demon in the end. Which was then promptly killed."

That managed to make the leader of Beestenbloed stutter before a scowl took over his calm expression. "How? It has a carapace that reflects magic and is harder than tungsten. It should have been impossible for a group of people who only use magic to kill it! We lost thirty-two people trying to translate that damned book to the demonic power used to write them and they just kill it!?"

"It was a demon that killed the Tarrasque. Brute force. She also managed to learn how to free those whom we used the collars enchanted with UDI on before handing Oni over to the Magic Council."

"A demon? Do you think..." he inquired before looking at his friend who had a small smile.

"She confirmed it herself, referring to herself as Aetna the Overlord."

"Perfect!" Walraven roared with a malicious smile.

"I do believe Doctor Ynia would like to hear about this, don't you?" Tsun said as he procured a small crystal orb from his sleeve. His compatriot took it with a smile as it glowed.

In the next instant, the voice of a middle-aged woman grumbled through the communication lacrima. "Eh? What do you want you sentient bag o' dicks?"

Walraven waved off the blatant disrespect while his partner stifled a laugh. "Doctor, as pleasant as always to speak with you."