16. Unwelcome Goodbyes

.

.

.

Mother and I spent the rest of the night touring the city after the concert finished, just simply enjoying the time we had left together before we had to say goodbye

Once again, I fell asleep as the sun began to rise, and was woken up by the smell of bacon and sausages and the sound of the door sliding open.

"Oh good, you're awake. I made you some breakfa-...brunch to eat."

Mother set the tray of food on the low table in the middle of the room and sat down on the other side.

"You didn't have to, but...thank you."

"Nonsense! What sort of mother would I be if I didn't help my baby grow big and strong!?"

I just give her a sad smile as I begin to eat the eggs offered to me. Her happy demeanour dropped for a second after seeing my reaction, prompting her to sigh as she reached over and ruffled my hair.

"I know. And...I wish I could have been there for you. I do."

"I know, momma...I don't blame you..."

The two of us just sat there in silence as I finished eating the plate of food she prepared. While I just wondered about the possible life I could have lived if my parents hadn't died, she seemed to be lost in thought as her gaze wandered over to my notebooks.

"Just...give me a minute."

She grabbed one of my notebooks where I write down the sigils and principles of theory about magic I'm studying and sat down at Mia's desk. By the time I finished eating the large brunch, she seemed to have written down what she wanted.

Mom came back to the table with a satisfied smile on her face, and several pages full of glyphs and theory that I've never seen before. From the brief pictures, I got a glimpse of, it seemed to be...

"Transformation magic?"

"Mhm! We demons have become masters of it over the centuries as a way to blend in with humans, a natural adaptation, really. Most of us are even able to do basic transformations without even thinking about it, so I'm sure you can pick it up pretty easily. You can probably even learn Take Over: Satan Soul since you aren't fully a demon, but you seem to have a talent for fire. Just like your mom and dad!"

"But, why would demons need to learn it? Galuna Island is a peaceful settlement, right?"

"That doesn't mean the hatred for demons is gone," she looked aside, her voice carrying a tinge of resentment, "Some are no more sentient than savage beasts, others attack humanity for the resentment carried towards our kind, but none are as dangerous and most prominent in humanity's minds as the demons from the books of Zeref. Monsters. Every. Single. One of them! The Etherious are abominations, nothing more than an affront to demons and the natural world as a whole!"