13. A Festival?

.

.

.

"It's time~! It's time~!"

"Mia, I'm scared. He's happier than usual."

"Ehe~ Well, that's to be expected. The biggest festival of the year is here."

"And that means more work for you enchanters, while we security just have to do our usual gig," Akihiko said as he was leaning against the door of Mia and mine's room.

He would often drop by for an hour or so before had to start working for idle chat. Mia would take the time to go over some paperwork she had to do before the day started, while Taiyo and I furthered our studies.

It's become a part of our regular morning routine, something that the three of them had prior to me coming to Himura and had let me join.

"Wait, what festival?"

"Oh, yeah you wouldn't know would you," he started, "The Obon Festival is a week long celebration where we remember the dead. This city was originally founded by settlers centuries ago, and apart from the clothes it's one of the few connections we have with the Eastern continent."

"The homeland celebrates it in July, but we celebrate it in August," Mia followed, "According to my grandmother, that's so that the spirits of our ancestors can visit their descendants overseas and have enough time to make the journey."

"Of course, the distance has also given us time to add our own traditions to the celebration. When my uncle took me overseas a few years back, they celebrated it with dancing and lanterns," Aki continued, "Everything felt pretty similar to Magnolia's Fantasia Day Parade, in all honesty, but if you pack a basin of a mountain with a bunch of pyromaniacs you're going to get an even louder festival."

"Aha! I remember when I went to the Fantasia Parade and a few people asked how our city is still standing after all this time. Apparently quite a few people think we live in a volcano that becomes active every year!"

"Well, we do create a lot of smoke...," Mia sighed after Taiyo's comment, "We set the mountains on fire each year, afterall."

"You people are psychopaths..."

"Hey, we light bonfires in a controlled environment!"

"Ehe...you can't deny, Aki, that we do use a lot of fire for no real reason. The hospitals get plenty of fire related injuries each year. If it wasn't for our familiarity with burns half of Himura would have matching scars."

"Not to mention a certain police squad given the architects and enchanters plenty of work rebuilding entire neighbourhoods each time they're deployed."

"I won't apologise."

"You people really are psychopaths..."

"Hey, houses can be rebuilt, but bandits and criminals will destroy lives."