3. New Friends

.

.

.

“Move it, brats!”

“Move it, brats!”

As I was shoved by the guard that was leading us, I fell and hit my chin hard on the ground. He didn’t bother waiting for me to get up and chose to instead grab me by my black hair and threw me onto my feet. Our wrists were bound together with iron cuffs that had a red lacrima crystal on top of them. They cut into our wrists as we were brought into the holding cell area. The centre was round and had layers of cells connected by stairs. Each layer had eight cells before moving on to the next one. If I had to guess, we were in the centre of the base of the structure just beneath where the tower was being built.

I walked into the cell we were taken to, thankful when I saw William walking in behind me. I immediately ran into his arms hoping to find some comfort in the presence of my big brother. When the door was locked,  I noticed how barren the cell was. It was nothing but stone, with not even a window to look out of. While I was hugging William like letting go was going to be death, a gruff voice came from further inside the cell.

“Didn’t expect them to bring in new prisoners.”

I turned toward it to find a middle-aged man with shaggy and greying brown hair dressed in dirty and torn clothes. He was skinny, so much so his ribs could be seen through his clothes and his body was sporting bruises and his beard was scraggly and unkempt. William was the first to address him.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Bosco. From the southern region of…well, Bosco.”

Groaning, he stood up and began to walk towards us. When he did the limp in his left leg became obvious as well as the scrapes and wounds on his hands. When he took his first few steps, William immediately put me behind him and made the illusion of a small flame flaring up in his palm.

“Woah there. I’m not your enemy here. And I wouldn’t be casting magic either if you value your life. They tend to kill those that can use magic. I just wanted to see the bruise on your little sister’s chin.”

When he said that I moved my hand to touch my chin, completely forgetting about the fact I hit it. When I did I quickly let go after I felt a slight sting with my fingers coming away with a small amount of blood.

“Yeah, these guys aren’t the kindest. How old are you kids, anyways?”

William answered while the other got on his knees and looked at my chin.

“I’m fifteen, but she’s only five.”

“Five? Shit…I swear they just keep grabbing younger an’ younger kids…”

“Are you saying there are more kids than just the ones they grabbed from our village?”

“Although they do have more adults than kids, theres a lot of kids. Many more…”