19. X777

.

.

.

July 7th, X777 - Almost a full year later

The time was nearly approaching for my mistress to feast on our ancestors once again.

When she had saved me from my free will, I felt like everything was going to crash around me. But when she had given me instruction, a purpose, the world felt whole again. Everything around me became bathed in her wondrous violet glow.

It was her visage, clad in horn and wing, her words that dripped like tainted caramel that I meditated on. My entire being became dedicated to serving her so that when the time came, she would suffuse me within her embrace.

My meditation was cut short, however, when the voice of my daughter came into the room.

"Father, umm, sorry to intrude but Captain Ito Tatsuo has been waiting for you for the past hour and he's growing...impatient."

Blessed Ayako, my eldest. She takes after her mother to such a degree that I feel she's still with me instead of adventuring. But Ayako, unfortunately, praises the wrong gods, and I cannot guide her to the correct path per the orders of my mistress.

"Thank you, dear, I seem to have gotten too deep into a trance and lost track of time. I'll be down shortly."

She gave me a small nod and made her way down to, presumably, tell the old bastard that I was making my way down.

When I made it to the meeting room I realised it was empty, but remembered that I was dealing with an egoist and made my way towards the living room. Sitting on the low table in the middle of my home was the giant fossil in question, eating my food without asking first. Per usual.

But beside him, this time, was a pleasant surprise. He hadn't had a pupil since I was born over forty years ago, and that poor brat died during one of their training sessions. But this girl, Lyssa Wysteria, was at least more well-mannered than her mentor and showed great promise as a wizard.

It was a shame she joined the Elite Guard under Ito's direct supervision. Other than Ophelia's granddaughter, this girl held some of the highest potential of enchanting I've seen of their generation. A part of me wants to believe it is the girl's talent, but something about Mia's rapid development of the art makes me think she understands something that I don't and passed this knowledge to her first student.

But the girl's talent wasn't what drew me to her. It was her eyes that were captivating me. Like mirrors of my mistress's, those purple orbs made me almost kneel out of instinct.

"There you are, Ohta! Was beginning to wonder if I would run out of food before then."

"You are eating an entire rotisserie chicken, Captain. And this is a vegan household, where the hell did you get a chicken!"