34. Way Up On The Mountain

.

.

.

"So, you guys accepted a quest to locate the wyvern nest?"

"And Phantom accepted one to find the mutual client's brother and sister-in-law."

"Seems we'll be stuck together."

"Seems so."

As Totomaru and Laxus led the way up the mountain talking to each other, I was stuck behind them protecting the sweet Juvia from the mean and evil Satan Soul wizard.

Mirajane looked at me with an aggravated expression, which seemed to scare the water girl to the point where she cradled herself under my arm and hugged my waist.

Or maybe she was just cold? I do run hot and the snowstorm around us was so bad that we could only see a few metres ahead of us before everything turned white.

Sighing, I turned my attention to the girl on my right, "Do you have a problem with me or something?"

"You beat me."

"No, it was a draw."

"No, you beat me!" she screamed, prompting Juvia to bury herself further into my arms.

"Easy, feisty. You're scaring the kids."

"Oh shut up! Why did you fake it?"

"I didn't fake anything."

"Liar!"

"If I'm lying, then prove me wrong."

"Oh, I will! Come here you lit-"

"Mira!"

Before she could act, a loud shout from the Lightning Mage ahead of us caused her to stop instinctively.

"Do you have to try and fight everyone you meet even when outside of the guild?"

"She started it!"

"I don't care. Be quiet or you'll attract the wyverns. If it wasn't for this blizzard you would have started an avalanche by now."

"S-Sorry..."

"Hmph, between you and Natsu..." Laxus turned around with an exasperated expression, still, he didn't look mad. I guess it's pretty common for him to have to get her to stop fighting someone, and she has that type of personality.

The five of us began to make our way towards the top of the mountain, where the wyvern nest was thought to be spotted. Inside was a large tunnel system of ice caves, and while the wyverns were likely there, the pair of lovers could take shelter in the same cave system.

Was it risky to be in the same place as half a dozen scaled abominations? Yes. But it would be riskier for them to try and rough it out during this snowstorm. The only reason we were traversing it well enough was because of the amount of heat Totomaru and I could create.

Ultimately, our groups decided to work together because we had similar goals and separate promised rewards. None of us were planning to fight the wyverns but agreed that if we had to it would be a team effort, and the scales would be divided evenly five ways.

Our goal was to find, protect, and escort the brother and sister-in-law of the Hakobe Lodge owners. Theirs was to find the white wyvern nest and plant a repellent in hopes it would drive them away.

The climb up the side of the mountain was relatively quiet, with the only noise being idle comments from Laxus or Totomaru about how far up they thought we were and snide remarks from Mirajane.