6. The Symphony of Our Freedom

.

.

.

I had decided to go to sleep in an attempt to get some rest and build up energy for the escape

Too soon after I went to sleep, though, I felt a hand on my shoulder shaking me awake. I blinked the sleep away to see Simon.

“I…Is it time?”

My voice was groggy as I asked him and he nodded.

“Everyone else is already awake and gathered. Let's go.”

As I stood up and looked around I saw that all the others in the cell were asleep, still. I followed Simon towards the group where Jellal gave us a nod at our approach.

“Alright, time to make our escape.”

“But…how?” Sho asked, “The guards, they lock up the cell each night.”

Jellal just smiled as he pulled out a ring of keys from his pants.

“A…key?”

“How…?”

“Well, when you're an orphan,” Jellal started as he unlocked the door, “You learn a few things. It was actually pretty easy to get the key than you might have thought.”

“Jellal,” I deadpanned, “Most of us are orphans, and I’m pretty sure you’re the only thief.”

His face was priceless when I said that.

“Don’t say it like that! You make me sound bad…”

The door unlocked with a soft click and the rest of us started to make our way out of the cell. I turned back, however, my gaze drifting off to the corner of the cell Grandpa Rob usually sleeps at.

“Lyssa, something the matter?”

I turned towards Wally and shook my head.

“No. Let's go.”

At the time I could only hope that Grandpa Rob and William would be safe long enough for us to get help.

Wally shut the door behind us and we followed Jellal down the corridors. Even if we weren’t running, our footsteps seemed unnaturally loud in the dead silence. My entire body was shaking as adrenaline made my heart feel like it was beating louder and harder than any drum. I was afraid, and everything could have gone wrong just by turning around the corner at the wrong moment.

“Are we using the stairs that the guards use?” I heard Simon asking.

I glanced towards the two boys as we stopped. We were on the path we had to travel everyday as we were put to work, somewhere in the centre of the tower.

I stepped forward to a railing to look down into a larger atrium while Jellal mused over everything. However, I was shocked by what I found.

“There…there is no one here!?”