7. Awakenings

.

.

.

I led William and Bosco back towards the fray, each of them armed with a weapon that we used to take out any cultists that we could find

I kept glancing left and right looking for the sight of the redhead that was leading the charge but I couldn’t find her amidst the chaos.

“I can’t find the others,” I yelled to William.

“They’ve probably rallied towards the boats. No doubt the cultists have tried to get out, so let's head to the beach,” he yelled back.

A loud boom echoed in the distance that travelled through one of the corridors, The three of us ran through that same corridor to find another majority of the revolters standing around in celebration as the bodies of cultists lay around them, someone was standing at the top of scaffolding holding barrels of gunpowder used to blow up more rocks screaming at the top of his lungs, likely the cause of the explosion. Near the centre I could see Wally, Mili, and Sho. I quickly ran down to them and Wally started to wave when he heard me running to them.

“I thought we lost you back there,” Wally said, giving me a grin as he put the shovel he was holding onto his shoulder, “But it seems that you’ve gone and caused even more trouble for them.”

I just simply grinned with unabashed happiness.

“Well, we are fighting our way out of here; I figured we’d add more to our ranks and less to theirs,” I said as I glanced around not seeing the other two, “Where are Erza and Simon?”

Wally pointed toward where the redhead was, her sword and shield still settled in her hands as she was talking about something with Simon as something in their conversation made the girl blush. I frowned to myself, wondering what the hell they were talking about when a flash of light was the only warning I had before the surrounding areas were blasted in a brief fiery explosion.

The two of them were standing in the epicentre of the blast and while Erza had managed to raise her shield in time to protect herself, Simon, to my horror, was sent flying away.

“Simon!” I yelled as I ran toward him with Wally right beside me.

I reached where he had fallen as a cold fear set within my skin worried that he died. Blood was trickling down his mouth as his jaw was dislocated horribly.

“Where did that attack come from!?” someone yelled in surprise.

“Everyone, look!” Milliana said as she pointed toward something in the air.

I felt dread as I looked up to see mummified looking corpses that had the cult’s masks shielding their eyes. The hunched over, purple wraiths floated towards us with their jaws unhinged far wider than any maw should be.