27. Mirajane Strauss

.

.

.

"So what do you say, Makarov? Instead of two old fogies fighting how about we let our newest recruits test their strength against each other, huh? Satan Soul against Devil Slayer?"

The more knowledgeable of the guild masters all gasped at the announcement. Not because of the challenge, mind you, but because of the two magics that were said.

Satan Soul is a type of Take Over magic. Take Over allows the user to, essentially, take over the power or body of an entity and use it to fight. It can increase the power, strength, and speed of the Caster, sometimes adding a new skill, such as flying or breathing underwater. One can only take over the power of beings they truly "know". In addition to embodying an entity, Take Over can also be used to control another entity or another entity's abilities.

Satan Soul in particular is among not only the more rare types of Take Over but also a very dangerous and powerful one. First, a human has to not only have demon ancestry but also have the magic power needed to transform into a demonic form in the first place. Then they have to have the strength of will to not lose control to the transformation lest it take them over instead. Whenever Satan Soul wizards assume their demonic visage they are in a silent battle of wills with the selfish creatures they become.

While this battle of domination is common among almost all forms of Take Over, demons and beasts in particular are unforgivingly strong in the mind when enraged. If a Take Over wizard loses to them in this battle, they will be consumed and turned into hosts for whatever they tried to take over in the first place.

And then there's the Devil Slayer magic.

If Satan Soul was known but rare and dangerous, Devil Slayer magic was almost completely unheard of causing most of them to immediately recognise it as a Lost Magic. The concept of Slayer magic wasn't unheard of, though, as there are books that can still be found today about God Slaying magic, and the process of using the corpses of dragons to make Dragon Slayer lacrima is fairly known albeit expensive to perform, as the lacrima needs to be surgically implanted into the mage.

Makarov's grandson for instance, Laxus Dreyar, was shown to have been too weak as a boy to use magic effectively, so his father implanted a lacrima made from the heart of a lightning dragon which ended up strengthening the boy's frail body and making him a Lightning Dragon Slayer. The dragon in question was known as Elexion, the Lightning Dragon King.

Then there's God Serena, one of the more recent members to join the Ten Wizard Saints, whose main source of magic is the several dragon lacrima he has implanted into his body.

Two of the guild masters present, Makarov himself and Jiemma Orland, the master of Sabertooth, have encountered children who claim to have learned their Dragon Slaying magic directly from dragons themselves. Natsu, Fairy Tail's Fire Dragon Slayer and Sting and Rogue, Sabertooth's White and Shadow Dragon Slayers.

Jiemma also has a guild member who has learned God Slaying magic. Orga Nanagear, Sabertooth's Lightning God Slayer.

So the concept of Slayer magic isn't lost on anyone present, not in the slightest, but almost none of them have heard of Devil Slayer magic in particular, and that alone is what is shocking to them. But Makarov, in his drunken state, took it as a challenge. Still, he wasn't foolish. His Satan Soul mage was still young and inexperienced despite her hard-headedness, so despite her being strong and talented, he didn't want to throw her into a fight if she was guaranteed to lose.

So, intoxicated and angry, he encouraged Jose.

"How old is this Devil Slayer?"

"Thirteen? I think... Yeah. She's thirteen."