33. The Girl Blessed By Rain

.

.

.

"So, what do you think of this mission?"

"Their scales are pretty valuable, but...an entire nest of them was sighted?"

"700,000,000 J, go to Mt. Hakobe and find a missing family. We don't even have to fight the blizzardvern in the area."

"But we're fire mages and Mt. Hakobe is in the middle of its annual snow storm...I doubt we would hear, let alone see the wyverns before they're on us..."

"You worry too much, Lyssa! Come on, let's go register this with Giles."

Before I could even hit him on his head for his stupidity, the eighteen-year-old made his way over to the bar counter where the moustachioed Giles was idly cleaning glasses. The moment he realised Totomaru was standing in front of him both the mission flyer and his identification card were already on the counter.

Sighing, I made my way over from the stairs just as Giles was putting on his glasses. When he read the flyer his gaze briefly drifted off somewhere in the guild before locking back onto the two of us.

"Your first S-Rank mission, hmm? And its search and rescue?"

"Yep! Figured that it would be best for us to go and find them since I'm pretty confident they're near freezing to death."

"Are you aware of the dangers the white wyvern nest has been posing to the area?"

"No. No, he isn't."

"Relax! We can find them pretty easily, and when we do we can make our way down the mountain as fast as possible, no wyvern fighting involved! And if we do, then we can sell the scales of the wyvern for a pretty hefty sum!"

Giles just rubbed the bridge of his nose with a barely contained sigh. Leaning on the counter, he looked Totomaru in the eyes with as serious of an expression as he could.

"Listen, I'm only going to allow you to accept this request because I don't want the family stuck up there to be in danger longer than they have to."

"Yes!"

"But-"

"But?"

"You have to take someone else with you."

"Oh come on! Do we have to?"

"Listen, you'll be doing us all a favour."

"Just...tell us who it is before he has an aneurysm..."

Giles nodded before pointing to a table in the far corner of the guild hall. There was a girl with blue hair and a thick wool raincoat, as well as a dark blue cossack hat. She was repeatedly making teru teru bōzu dolls with mindless, almost desperate, motions.

"Who is she?"

"The reason it's been raining for the past week."

Both Totomaru and I looked at Giles as if he had just grown a second head.

"Listen, I know I'm the pot calling the kettle black right now, but there is no way that girl has that much natural magic power."

"It's not just her magic power," Giles said as he poured a little bit of water onto the granite countertop from a pitcher. The liquid slowly began to move towards the same direction as the girl, but there was no magic power connecting the two. "Her affinity for water is the highest I've ever seen. She doesn't even know how she's making it rain, but that's why she came here. Or rather, dumped here."

""Dumped?""

He nodded, pulling out a letter and setting it on the counter for us to read.

"Her parents sent her here in the hopes that she'd learn how to stop, even saying they would send her money for rent but it would be up to her to put food in her stomach. All she's been doing is making those dolls and hasn't even taken a glance at the quest board. The staff here have been giving her food for free but..."