49: Meeting the Take Over Siblings

.

.

.

A dark aura hung around the cake shop, at the epicentre of it all was our table. I tried my best to ignore it and act like nothing was wrong, but the glare Mirajane was giving me from across the table was really, really hard to ignore.

Her brother and sister were faring no better than I was, unfortunately. They sat beside me with heads hung low as they tried to make themselves invisible.

That feat was nearly impossible, though, as poor Elfman was nearly twice my size.

Erza wasn't helping the awkwardness, either. Her previously cheery mood was sweeter than all the condensed mess of cakes sitting in her stomach. Now she's just as sour as Mirajane, but instead of glaring she was holding her posture stiff, her eyes closed, and she somehow learned a way to passive-aggressively eat her cake.

Frankly, I hadn't expected this in the slightest. Meeting Mira? Yeah. For them to be rivals or something? They've both said as much on multiple occasions. But for them to annoy each other this much? Mirajane already seemed annoyed with me in particular but the mood dropped significantly when the two ended up sitting next to each other...

"So, uhh, did I do something wrong...?" I asked as diplomatically as nicely as I could.

Mira's glare accomplished the impossible and somehow grew less harsh, instead she just pouted and looked away. Still no less angry.

I sighed and let my forehead hit the table. I hated trying to solve stuff with words. I'm a fighter, not a diplomat! Just let me punch my way through my problems!

Someone pulling on my shirt made me reluctantly raise my head to look at the similarly exasperated Lisanna. "She's mad because you stood her up..."

"Huh?"

Erza whipped her head up and looked back and forth between me and Mira with wide eyes, clearly having come up to a conclusion of her own while I was just confused.

Seeing the befuddled look on my face, Mira finally spoke up for the first time since she and her siblings, albeit through gritted teeth. "Three hours. I waited for you in the middle of a snowstorm for three hours only for you to not show up!" Erza's face grew into a stupified expression as she began to blush. "Didn't even have the decency to spend the twenty-minute train ride here to tell me you were cancelling in person, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of you since then! And when I do, I see you hanging out with the enemy!"

"Wait wait wait! Are you talking about when we were supposed to meet last month? I sent you a letter days ahead of time to tell you. Did you not read it?" I said, causing her to blush and look away which only increased my confusion.

"She lost the key to our PO box the day after we moved into our new house without telling anyone," Lisanna said with a disappointed look.

"T-This was late November if you were wondering," Elfman the gentle giant added earning a betrayed glare from their elder sister.

"*Snrk* Idiot."

"You wanna fight, you sentient menstrual cramp!?"

"Bring it on, oxygen bandit!"

"Airheaded freak!"

"Unruly bimbo!"

"Lardass!"

"Tramp!"

The two's bickering escalated to headbutting and then a shoving contest. I swear if I looked closely sparks of electricity were flashing between their foreheads.