20. No Pain, No Gain

.

.

.

August 12th, X778 - The day before the Obon Festival

What would you expect someone to learn when training under a man who could melt a mountain with his presence?

The reasonable answer would be they'd be taught to do the same thing, but you'd be wrong.

Day after day the captain would break me down as much as he physically could in daily exercise. When the weights began to feel light, I'd have to use enchanting to make them "heavier" and the only way I would be ready the next day would be to use the Chiyu Flame magic to heal myself unconsciously while I slept.

Those healing flames became my only way to survive, to the point where I ended up using a Magic enchantment to permanently fuse my Fire Body magic and the Chiyu Flame magic. The captain saw this as a way to make me learn a unique way to fight that combined the previous method I had come up with.

Using my Fire Body to turn my entire body into a flaming tornado or blazing disk, I would purposely grow more reckless and utilise my ability to heal myself to take damage so long as I could hurt my opponent even more. This meant I had to practise so I could heal more and more damage as easily as I could.

Captain Tatsuo didn't let me slack on deepening my pyromancy, however. He told me once that mastering one element was his pride, something that only existed because of a rivalry he had with someone else.

"I'll melt the world if that copycat bastard ended up being weak after all these years," were his words.

His way of making me master the element faster was brutal. Every day he would make me feel the full heat of his magic aura. When we sparred, when I trained, when we ate, and even when we were in the same room together he would concentrate all of it on me leaving everyone else to be unaffected.

The only saving grace I had was when I meditated in front of Allaheargh's Test. Sitting in front of the bonfire had replaced my sleep, and I honestly longed for the comfort of a bed. Within a year under the brutality of the training, I had quickly made it to the seventh of the eight rings, only one ring away from the bonfire itself.

The captain even enlisted me into training with the Elite Guards of Himura alongside another new recruit to the guard named Totomaru, a seventeen-year-old with a split-dyed ponytail, with the left being black and the right being white.

He was enlisted for a similar reason to me, having a fighting style that didn't rely on simply throwing flames like most of the guards and police. He fought with a sword and had a high talent for pyrokinesis which made it easy for him to defeat other pyromancers. On top of that, he also created a peculiar form of fire magic called Rainbow Fire, and none of us like that he has it.

Totomaru outwardly reminded me of Akihiko, both having a cold face but a fairly friendly demeanour otherwise. But then came the swordsman's pranks. His rainbow fire allows him to create flames that have various quirks or effects, just like how the Chiyu Flames heal instead of hurt. For example, he can create a blue fire that freezes instead of burns, but his favourite is the orange and yellow flames that...stink. That's all they do, smell like moldy socks bathed in a fat man's bellybutton sweat.