15. The Obon Festival

.

.

.

Confusion, happiness, grief, none of these words could accurately describe what I had felt

The spirits around me could only communicate through distorted whispers, and when I tried to ask how my parents died, they would answer that they couldn't remember.

None of them could remember much of anything, only the things they found important in life.

My mother's name was Empusa von Ifriti, and my father was Col Hydesdale, and both were fire mages. A trait they shared with me, Alectsa, their daughter.

Except everyone on my mother's side weren't fully human. They shared demonic blood from their old home, a place called Galuna Island that acted as a safe haven for demonkind. Generations away from other demons using Transformation magic to hide caused their blood to dilute, however.

That was why my mother only had horns.

And I looked completely human.

The shocking revelation aside, I spent the rest of the night just listening to them all.

Hearing the few stories they could give me and hearing their voices, memorising them, picturing them in life, imagining how they might have sounded before they had passed, and just relishing in the knowledge that I had the opportunity to learn more about my family.

To learn more about where I came from.

When my grandfather talked about flying through the night skies I grew envious and wished that I had wings myself.

When my father talked about how he serenaded my mother with music it made me want to learn about it myself.

And when my aunt ranted about history she had me captivated with every tale.

And before I knew it, dawn had risen and I had fallen asleep to the sound of my mother's singing.

"Wake up, Alectsa~."

"Hng...hmm?"

"Come on, dear. The festival is in full swing again!"