40. Without Chains

HAPPY HOLIDAYS YOU FUCKS!

.

.

.

Fairy Hills, the all-girls apartments exclusively used by Fairy Tail wizards and their families. The anxiety I had up until this point only seemed to increase tenfold, partly because I intended to meet Erza, and partly because of the guild mark on my waist.

The match between Mirajane and I was supposed to be a proxy battle that would end the feud between Phantom Lord and Fairy Tail, at least for a while, but all it seemed to do was spark more anger from Jose. So much so, that for the past two years, he hasn't even bothered attending the annual guild masters' meeting.

Totomaru has even said he's seen him pay off some of the more violent members who attacked Fairy Tail wizards, and Mirajane has supported these stories.

Even after removing the Phantom Lord guild mark with transformation magic, I made sure to zip up my jacket just in case. I didn't want to be forced to leave before I could even talk to her.

Finding the building located in the hills left of the guildhall, I walked into the main lobby located on the left of the whole dorm. It was relatively empty, save for a couch and chair situated around a low coffee table, a small bookshelf, and a counter with a door that likely led to an office. On the other side of the lobby was a flight of stairs going up to the next floor with a door to the right of them, presumably a broom closet. To the left of the office door was a hallway that led to the rooms on the main floor.

After I rang the small bell on the counter I was met by a young woman's voice coming from behind the office door, "Just a minute!"

When the door opened I was met with a girl, possibly a year younger than me, with dark brown hair and eyes and tan skin dressed in a white sweater and grey skirt. She was trying to pull off tape and wrapping paper that had gotten stuck to her clothes and hair, practically stumbling out of the office door.

"Sorry, tricky shapes to wrap is all," she said, her eyes looking at me with curiosity, "I don't recognize you so I doubt you're part of Fairy Tail. Do you need anything?"

"Ye- *cough* Yeah, I was hoping to see if a girl named Erza was here. Red hair, brown eyes? "

"Why do you want to know?"

"We grew up in the same village, Rosemary, she was raised in the church and I the orphanage, before it was destroyed. When I heard a wizard with the same name and appearance had joined Fairy Tail, I couldn't help but feel hopeful."

For a moment, the girl looked stunned, as if she was trying to digest the information I had given her. I guess Erza didn't tell anyone about Rosemary, and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised. The only people who know are Totomaru and Tatsuo, and regardless of how curious Juvia has gotten about my past, I haven't told her anything beyond my training in Himura.

When she regained her composure, the thirteen-year-old nodded before making her way out from behind the counter. "Okay, umm, can I get a name?"

"Lyssa."

"Alright, I'll go get her. Just wait here."

The girl left up the stairs and left me to sit around in the foyer. I began to read the titles of the books left on the small shelf to pass the time, hoping to find one I may have not read.

'Discerning the Artistry of the Transmundane. Geoglyphs and Terran Phantasms. Adrenaline Junkying Your Way To More Ethernano. Tarot and Other Magic Cards, a Quick Guide to the Future. Charm Me On Summer's Dawn...haven't heard of that one yet. Pretty sure the Magic Council has passed a bill that will outlaw charm magic starting next year, so I guess I should try and read it before it's destroyed.'