8. Fire Body Magic

.

.

.

The sound of crashing waves was the first thing I had heard upon gaining some consciousness

I had expected to feel it crashing onto me, but I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t feel the sun’s rays beating down onto me, nor did I feel the sand underneath me. Panic began to set in as I couldn’t find myself able to move my limbs as I opened my eyes.

“Oh, you’re up.”

I turned my eyes to the voice to see a young adult with black hair and black clothes. He had a gentle expression on his face as he cooked something over a small fire pit. One of his hands was holding a pan with a bunch of vegetables inside it and the other rested inside a large white sash that wrapped over one of his shoulders and fell to the opposite waist.

“I apologise if you can’t move,” he said, “I administered muscle relaxers and pain medication to treat you. Your left arm was sprained and your eye looked infected and neither seemed like something a young girl should want to wake up to. It should wear off about ten minutes or so, and the food should be almost done by then. Try to flex your muscles and take deep breaths to help blood flow.”

There was nothing else for me to do in the situation I was in, so I listened to his instructions and tried to get control of my muscles back before I tried to move my limbs. The deep breaths helped me calm myself down while he cooked what looked to be a salad of some sort. Within a few minutes I was able to help myself up to a sitting position. I saw that I had been changed from the rags I had been wearing into similar dark robes to him, my arm was in a brace and placed into the white sash for support.

“Why…did you change me?”

“Well, I couldn’t just let you catch a cold. Those robes were torn at the waist anyway so all I had to do was a small amount of impromptu tailoring. Anyway, here. I apologise if it doesn’t taste too great, it's been a long time since I cooked for anyone.”

He scooped the salad onto a large flat rock and gave me two sticks to eat it with. He did the same for himself and began to eat it by pinching the food in between the sticks. I looked at the salad, a combination of greens, nuts, and berries and decided to eat it. I was too hungry, and he himself ate it so I could only hope there was nothing poisonous in them.

The salad ended up being extremely bitter and my obvious distaste for it must have shown as the man in front of me gave me an awkward chuckle.

“Sorry, but you can’t say I didn’t warn you. Bitter fruits tend to be the safest to eat anyway, since the ripper ones are often the poisonous ones.”

“It's not that bad, I guess. I’ve had worse.”

“Ahahaha! Well, that makes me feel more confident.”