Ch.105 | Hōgyoku Hunting

-- Back at Camp Half-Blood --

Sitting next to Luke in the Hermes cabin, I felt quite welcome. The camp trained you in swordsmanship, archery, climbing and poetry for some reason. They thought pretty consistently that I was part of the Apollo cabin, I wasn't. I was a troll, so of course I chose to be a child of Artemis, I wondered what she'd say when she first saw me. The thought would make my expectations rise and make it hard to sleep at night sometimes.  

"Hey!" Luke raised his arm, waving it to say hello. I responded by doing the same, but immediately he awkwardly lowered it, "Uh..." he knit his eyes and put a hand on his chin, as if he were trying to solve some hypercomplex problem. "We never got your name..." 

"Damn! Did you make that?" I turned to the person next to me. We were in the middle of the art activities in the club, and the camper to my right had just created something incredible out of clay. It looked like a one to one replica of the Titanomachy. It was incredibly impressive. 

"Well yeah, with a little cheating" He touched the clay and turned it into a small bow, then a harp. "I'm a son of Apollo, so it comes easier, but I was also born with the ability to make anything with my powers as long as it is artistic." That was a good way to get money -- was the first thing I thought. 

"Hey! You didn't answer my question," Luke had walked up to me while I talked to the son of Apollo and put his hand on my shoulder, he pressed me to tell him about my name. I couldn't tell him what I didn't know. I had a few days to think of one, but nothing came to mind. 

Thankfully, right after Luke tried asking another question, the activities for members in the camp were cycled. 

"Move on to your next activity campers!" Chiron announced in his wheelchair before going back to having a match with Dionysus. I had combat training next.

Combat training was my least favorite. 

I didn't really want to show off, but I was a person with hundreds of years of experience fighting against 12-year-olds. It was not pretty. Their swordsmanship was admirably good, if we ignored stats and... well, more than half of my skills... they would have gotten close to scratching me here and there. 

Observation Haki was a bitch

Most times I just used footwork to stay behind my opponent, leaving them utterly confused as to where I was.

"Where did you go?!" The enemy was a son of Ares wielding a spear. His first mistake was letting me get close, his second mistake was letting me get behind him. He turned around, most likely somewhat sensing my presence, but I used my Flame-Kata footwork to simply stay behind him.  

The other campers had finished their bouts and only watched as I dodged random strikes he threw in all directions by twirling his spear. Making as little sound as possible was easy with the tiled terrain, but I assumed the slight noise would drive the son of Ares insane. The thought of him hearing footsteps behind him, turning around and seeing nobody was funny -- his reaction was funnier. 

"Enough of that!" Thalia's voice roared from the stands. She grabbed her spear and walked toward our fight. 

"Stay out of it, Grace! I'm close to him, I can feel it!" The son of Ares gripped his spear with both hands and turned around. I didn't let him see me and continued moving around, so I was out of sight.

"He's behind you, stupid. He could've finished the fight at any time. This fight should have been called seconds in. You look like a fish out of water. Continuing only makes you look worse. For a second I thought you were dancing and playing stupid instead of actually fighting" Thalia held back no punches.