Chapter 54

"So, what do you want to ask?" I looked at Damarius while enjoying the cookies made by Helios.

It tastes pretty good. I wonder how Alastor's cookies would taste like. I want to try it someday...

Damarius thought for a moment, choosing the first question. "You said that there are important characters."

I nodded. "Just like in novels. In games, there are protagonists, antagonists, and supporting characters. In this game, we take on the role of the main protagonist and get to choose our partners, known as "capture targets."

"Who are they?" He looked at me with eyes full of curiosity.

"Why do you ask? I thought you just wanted to know this family's future."

"Out of curiosity."

"Well... Like I said." I bend one finger every time I say a name. "The targets we can choose are you, Valius, your friends Raymond and Arkanio, Julianus, Alvanio-"

"Marquis Fabian?"

"Mhm, the one who was my partner at the party yesterday. Then there was Alastor- oh- he's the demon prince who opened a cafe-"

Damarius cut off my words. "You know he's the demon prince, yet still dare to take me and Valius there?"

I scratched my cheek. "He's not a bad person... Ah! By the way, the main character played by us, the players, is Edelyn."

Damarius looked at me with a frown. "That girl? Wait... With Valius?"

"Huh? Oh, yup. Valius and Edelyn's romance is one of the only routes that doesn't have a happy ending. Well, you see... this is because they are blood relatives, and such a relationship is considered taboo. That route is one of those routes that is hated and loved because of the interesting plot." I nodded, then looked at Damarius mischievously. "Meanwhile, your and Edelyn's route is the most wholesome."

"Me? With that girl?"

"What? You're so sweet, though. I don't know why you dislike her. In the game, you warmly welcome her, and your route is the most popular one, even though Edelyn only wants you to express your emotions. For your information, the story of a cheerful girl who melts a guy's heart with a cold- I mean, expressionless and indifferent face- is the story that people in my world like the most."

Damarius frowned disapprovingly. "I'm not cold. I smile sometimes. And I always express my emotions. What's more, there's no way I like a capricious and two-faced girl."

Capricious and two-faced..? Is that her character?

"Anyways... As I said, not all the information in the game is correct. And so far, the events in the game either didn't happen or were distorted. For example, Edelyn and her mother were supposed to make a commotion at Lavenia's debutante party. But at that time, Lavenia and Julianus were attacked until they became unconscious. There was also about Duke Alfaret, who was said to have never once worried about his children, even when Lavenia had a tragic end on several routes."

"Wait. What's wrong with Lania?"

"...What do you mean?"

"Why is Lania involved?"

"Huh?"

Damarius and I exchanged surprised looks.

"Oh- did I not mention that Lavenia is the main antagonist in this story?"

After I said that, the air around me felt tense.

...is this information that I shouldn't tell..?

"W-well, let's get back to the main point of our conversation. In the game storyline, there are good and bad endings. Cough... For your information, only Vasilius' route doesn't have a good ending. And the bad ending in this game isn't just for players only, but the targeted character will also get a bad ending."