Chapter 37

Alastor's cafe is now out of shape. Everything was damaged, even the walls had many cracks.

And here I am now, sitting in the middle of the Alfaret duo who are looking at the two people sitting across the table.

Alastor sat silently with a crooked facial expression and faced sideways. While Alvanio looks more cheerful than usual.

"Tch humans are really troublesome, when they saw a demon they immediately run scared." Alastor muttered with a sour face.

Obviously, no one in history could humans live after encountering a demon.

Damarius looked at him in disapproval. "Don't the demons dislike humans, whom they label as weak creatures?"

Those words made me sweat drop on the spot.

"You say that as if all demons were vicious beings who acted as if they were the strongest." Alastor stared at him sharply.

I have to admit the majority of demons are like that.

"Indeed. And just so you know, we're just keeping ourselves from getting killed by the heinous creatures."

Wait... saying something like that to that person in person is a bit...

Alastor banged his fist on the table giving me a slight shock. "Heinous... creatures..? Your words are very offensive. Could you please apologize?" he emphasized a few words and put on a fake smile

Damarius crossed his arms. "That's the truth. I don't see where the problem is." His words made the blood run down my face.

Why do you have to be so childish at a time like this?! Do you want a war to break out?!

Alastor stared at Damarius in disbelief. "Even animals have feelings, don't you think demons have feelings too? I just felt annoyed earlier. Try to imagine what it would be like if you were pointed with sword and suddenly attacked, even though you only wanted to talk."

Yeah, you're right. I would feel wronged if it was me.

Damarius was about to speak, but shut his mouth when he saw Vasilius bowed.

"I sincerely apologize for my impoliteness. I have no reason to justify my rude behavior earlier. I will make sure to compensate for the damage caused to your place." Vasilius' hands that were under the table clenched.

Alastor stared at Vasilius for a moment then sighed. "Since you've apologized and compensated me then I'll forget about this incident."

Those words made me heave a sigh of relief.

Finally. Now you guys are at peace, right? Please don't cause a war or revenge on each other.

I looked at Damarius intently.

That applies especially to you, you little kid.

He turned his attention on me and put on his innocent face.

I snorted and turned my attention to Alvanio, who had been wiping his gun for some time.

"So..." Alvanio spoke without taking his eyes off the gun he was cleaning. "Since I'm a busy person, can we speed things up by clearing up this misunderstanding?"

Busy? Though as I recall patrolling is your only activity aside from meeting you clients.

He took out the bullet and pointed the gun at Alastor. "Is there anything you want to say, Your Highness the Demon Prince?"

Ok, what was that pointed gun for?

"I'm not the demon prince. I'm just a demon who loves to bake. Is it wrong?" one could hear in Alastor's words that he was annoyed.

You're not wrong, it's just the circumstances that made you wrong.

"And why did you choose this territory?" Alvanio held his chin.

Yeah, I want to know too.

Alastor sighed. "Because this territory is in the east, which is opposite the territory of the demons in the west. I don't like them. They are very greedy. War is always their priority. As a result, I, who only wanted peace and freedom, was affected. I'm constrained as a commander if I stay there. Just because I have demon king blood, they urged me to order them to kill all creatures that got in their way. It makes me sick." I could see briefly that Alastor's eyes were darkening.

Oh, I see. By the way, can you get rid of that expression of yours? You scared me. Though I didn't dare to say it out loud.

Alvanio clapped once. "The point is the demon prince here just wants to be a baker and not get involved with other demons. Isn't that right, prince?" Alastor nodded twice.

"What if it's a lie he's prepared?" Damarius looked at him suspiciously.

"Tch, why would I lie?" Alastor looked frustrated.

"There are no guarantees." Damarius looked away.

"Well, if that's the case then we just need to kill this prince if he does anything suspicious." Alvanio answered lightly.
"Don't you agree, demon prince?" He looked at Alvanio who looked annoyed, but still nodded.

Alvanio stood up. "All done. Then I'll go first, I have something to do. Bye." He walked out casually, leaving the four of us behind.

Now things are quiet and awkward.

Alastor held his forehead and clicked his tongue. "Go away. You humans are giving me a headache. And please fix my place soon so I can get back to work."

I scratched my cheek awkwardly. "Uhm... Dryas-"

"Alastor Rodheus, just call me Alastor. That's my real name." Alastor looked at me with a look I couldn't decipher.

What is this? He told me his real name?

"Right, Alastor... I just want to say sorry... sorry I didn't stop my brothers earlier... and we are truly sorry for what happened." I bow.

"It's not your fault." Alastor forced a fake smile. "Well, I think that's a natural reaction. Probably..." He glanced at Damarius who put a flat expression.

Alastor glanced at me. "Just... go home now, the moon is about to appear."

He stood up and walked into the kitchen. I stared at him until he disappeared behind the door

"Sigh... let's go home." I stood up and pulled the Alfaret duo who didn't move from their seats.

Vasilius looked very gloomy, while Damarius looked pale.

Wait... pale?

Damarius walked out first. I can see he walks with a slight limp.

Ah, I remember. Earlier he said that he had fought with a black magician so that his magic had become limited.
He's not going to faint, is he?

Vasilius pulled me so we walked side to side with Damarius.

He put Damarius' arm on his shoulder. "Tired?"

Damarius paused for a moment then nodded. "A little."

"Sorry. Please hold on until we get home." He looked down.

Damarius patted the top of his head. "Not your fault."

I nodded.

Yeah, not all.

Vasilius only hummed in response.

We walked towards where the carriage was scheduled to pick us up.

Silence. Neither of us exchanged a word on the way home.

Sigh... hope things got better.