Chapter 41

I was astonished to see my pale white face even paler after the maids did the makeup.

Is makeup necessary? I mean, Lavenia's face is perfect. Smooth white skin with shining blue eyes and don't forget her naturally red mouth.

Sigh... what a shame... if only she wasn't a villainess.

A knock on the door made me turn. Soon Helios' voice could be heard. "Lady Lavenia, this is Helios."

My adaptability was good enough that I spontaneously and naturally said, "Come in."

The bedroom door opened, revealing Helios elegantly walking in.

He looked at me then froze for a moment before approaching me with a worried expression. "Lady Lavenia? Do you still feel pain? Shall I bring Lady's dinner here?"

"No need, I'm fine."

He looked at me doubtfully. "Please don't push yourself, Lady Lavenia. if you feel pain please say it immediately."

Sigh... I really am fine...

I stood up and said. "Come on, they're waiting." Then walked out leaving Helios.

He paused for a moment before darting in front of me. I hastened my steps to walk beside him. But he stopped in his tracks, making me stop and stare at him in confusion.

His emerald eyes looked at me seriously. "It is an etiquette here that the servant must walk in front to make sure there are no obstacles in front of their master. So please don't walk in front of me nor walk beside me." There is a tone of professionalism that is characteristic of him.

He then walked again, and on the way to the dining room not a word was spoken between us.

Helios opened the door wide, revealing three Alfaret sitting inside which now staring at me.

I entered and sat on Vasilius' right side, while Damarius was in front of him and Duke Alfaret was on Vasilius' left, in the single seat at the end.

Vasilius looked at me. "Are you all right?" he asked with a worried look.

I smile. "Of course, I feel very well." I said.

"Really? Should I told the maid to bring your dinner to your room?" Duke Alfaret looked at me gently, making me a little touched.

Sigh... this attention is making me awkward.

"I'm totally fine." I glanced at Damarius who was looking at me with an expression I couldn't decipher. His complexion doesn't look too good.

Is he sick?

The gazes of the three of them who stared at me for a long time made me sweat drop on the spot. "Ah I'm hungry. Can we start eating?"

Duke Alfaret sighed and motioned for us to eat.

We started eating in silence, then Duke Alfaret spoke up. "Vasilius, what does the elder think?"

Vasilius sighed in frustration. "They are very troublesome. They chose to leave the territory and abandoned the people there, considering that the other kingdom is about to attack again. Moreover the people there are mostly criminals and there are rumors that a strange plague spreading there."

Abandon? Whose territory? Just because they're mostly criminals doesn't mean all of them evil. Mostly aren't all. What about innocent people?

And what kind of rumor is that? It was so coincidental that it made me doubt it.

Duke Alfaret scowled displeasedly. "Then our empire's territory will decrease and our manpower too."

That's what you worried about..?

"We lost badly, and the elders had more votes. Moreover the royal adviser sided with the elders because he has been bribed by the elders. As we know, he was miserly, hated spending the royal budget and loved money. And he's cunning. We can't do anything if we can't bring him to our side."

Geez.. I remember that adviser. In the game he always manipulates the king with his sweet words. That old geezer of corruption was truly the worst. Luckily Julian was not swayed by the old fart, and together with Alvanio, he exposed that geezer's crimes and expelled him from the kingdom.

Sigh... so annoyed with that person. I can't imagine how helpless the people in the attacked territory are, no one helps them when they are suffering.

I stab my fork into the meat on the table and a loud sound immediately entered my ears.

It wasn't the clinking of my fork against the plate, but Damarius who fell from his chair.

We spontaneously stood up and approached Damarius who was sweating with a pain look on his face. His black eyes looked unfocused.

"Inform Damarius' situation right away to the elder magician." Duke Alfaret's voice are stern and there's no hint of panic could be hear there.

Vasilius and Duke Alfaret carried Damarius to his room and laid him on the bed.

He lay stiff yet powerless. His violet hair was now wet with sweat. His eyes were closed and his brows twitched. He clenched his fists, looking like he was in so much pain.

Despite that, Damarius didn't groan and only clenched his jaw.

I looked at Duke Alfaret who looked calm and then walked out, while Vasilius looked at Damarius with his mind somewhere else.

Vasilius sighed and took my hand. "Let's go."

...huh? "Wait, what about Darius?"

He frowned for a moment while looking at me. "This happens often, no need to worry."

..often? "What do you mean? Darius is always like this? The doctor hasn't come yet and you want to leave him? Why are you in such a hurry to leave?" I stare at him .

Never in the game did I see Damarius sick. And also what kind of story development is this? Damarius is often in pain like this? What really happened?

"Sigh... Darius is the most powerful mage in this kingdom, and His Majesty gave him a title for that. But because of that title, his power must be dedicated to this kingdom." He stopped for a moment and pulled me down on the couch that was on the opposite side of the bed.

"Long time ago, this kingdom was often attacked by monsters and such. That's why His Majesty, the king, ordered Darius to protect the kingdom by placing a barrier around the kingdom. Not just at certain times, but every second as long as he is alive." Vasilius' words made me widen my eyes.

Does that mean he has to cast his magic even when he's asleep? Even when he was fighting the black magician and Alastor back then?

A question appeared in my head. I opened my mouth hesitantly. "What about now..? Don't tell me he's still mantaining the barrier."

He looked at Damarius. "A day like this is an exception. It happens whenever his magic are drained or when his barrier is continuously being forced open on all sides. But... Darius didn't report to Dad that there was an intruder, meaning the first option is likely the cause. And the elder magicians will take his place. until he's recovered."

I looked at Damarius who was breathing heavily. "When will he recover?"

"Not sure. Once he was sick for up to a week, and once even a month. The doctor couldn't do anything. Only his own potion and himself could cure him- ah..."

Vasilius stood up. "I almost forgot, I have to get the potion. If you want to go then go. Damarius won't recover overnight."

Vasilius dashed out and left me with Damarius. I approached him and sat next to him.

So that was the reason why monster attacks were never heard of even though their habitat was next to the kingdom.

This is called forced labor! Every second must expend magic energy? That's too much!

Sigh... seriously... it must be really hard for Damarius...

A hot sensation suddenly felt in my hand. I looked at my hand which was held by Damarius, then I looked at him. His eyes were glazed and unfocused.

His dry mouth opened. "Don't... abandon... me..." he ranted over and over again.

...abandon?