CHAPTER.XLIII. POISON

The tension in the emergency room was palpable as Rafael paced back and forth, his worry etched deep into his furrowed brow

Hours passed like an eternity, each minute dragging on as they awaited news of Juliet's condition.

"What's taking them so damn long?" Dante muttered, his frustration simmering beneath the surface.

Finally, the sound of approaching footsteps shattered the oppressive silence, and they all rose to their feet as the doctor entered the room.

Rafael wasted no time in addressing him, his voice laced with urgency. "Doctor, how is my daughter?" he demanded.

The doctor hesitated, glancing around at the expectant faces before him. "I think it's best if we discuss this in private," he said cautiously.

Rafael nodded, his heart pounding in his chest, and followed the doctor to his office, with Dante close behind.

He knew Dante had grown close to Juliet, and he wasn't about to deny him the right to know what had happened.

Once inside the doctor's office, tension hung heavy in the air as they stood facing each other. The doctor retrieved a file from his desk and gestured for them to sit, but neither Rafael nor Dante took a seat.

With a heavy sigh, the doctor opened the file. "Your daughter has been staying with you for the past few months, correct?" he began.

Rafael nodded. "Yes, that's correct

"Alright where has your daughter been living with before you?"

"She lived with her mother, why is this important is my daughter ok?" Rafael said growing impatient

The doctor's expression grew grave as he continued. "Your daughter has various injuries-bruises, cuts-that appear to be old and in various stages of healing."

Rafael's heart sank, dread settling like a heavy weight in the pit of his stomach. "What are you saying?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"It appears she has suffered some form of abuse," the doctor replied solemnly. "Physical abuse, to be precise."

"Impossible she would have told us!" Rafael protested, disbelief evident in his voice. Memories of Juliet's behavior flooded his mind, prompting a sudden realization of missed signs.

As Rafael spoke, fragments of moments flashed before him: Juliet's flinches, her timid demeanor, her habit of concealing her body as if shielding herself from unseen harm.

Dante's jaw clenched, his eyes dark with anger as he spoke. "What else?" Sensing that there was something else the doctor needed to say

The doctor hesitated before delivering the next piece of news. "Juliet tested positive for belladonna poisoning."

"Belladonna?" Dante echoed, his voice filled with disbelief.

"Yes, and it seems the poisoning has been ongoing for quite some time. It's a miracle she's still alive," the doctor explained, his tone grave.

"But how is that possible? Belladonna is extremely deadly!" Dante exclaimed.

"I believe the person responsible knew what they were doing, administering small doses to avoid detection," the doctor concluded, his words hanging heavy in the air.

Rafael's chest tightened with a mixture of shock and fury as the doctor's words sank in. His mind raced with a whirlwind of emotions-anger, fear, and an overwhelming sense of helplessness.

"How could someone do this to her?" Rafael whispered, his voice barely audible, his hands clenching into fists at his sides.

Dante's jaw tightened even further, his eyes blazing with a fierce intensity. "Don't worry I will find out and rest assured Quienquiera que sea, pagará el precio y no voy a parar hasta que estén de rodillas suplicando piedad."

"Will she be alright?" Rafael's voice trembled with concern.

The doctor hesitated for a moment, his expression grave. "She's showing signs of recovery, but she's been exposed to the poison for a prolonged period. I can't say for certain how it will affect her in the long run, and there's no guarantee she'll wake up."

"So she's in a coma?" Dante's tone was edged with disbelief.

"Yes, that's correct," the doctor confirmed.

"But you can't guarantee she'll wake up?" Dante's frustration was palpable.

"I'm afraid not," the doctor admitted solemnly.

Rafael's shoulders slumped, the weight of uncertainty bearing down on him. "Is there anything we can do?" he asked, his voice tinged with desperation.

"We're doing everything we can for her," the doctor reassured them. "Right now, all we can do is wait and hope for the best."

Dante's jaw clenched with frustration, but he nodded in acknowledgment. "I want to see her."

AUTHORS NOTE

AUTHORS NOTE

What do you think will happen next in the story?
Any suggestions for the next one?

What is your favorite character so far?

What do you want to see more of?

Don't forget to vote ☆