CHAPTER. XXVII. JUST PROTECTIVE

J U L I E T  V A L E N T I N E

J U L I E T V A L E N T I N E

"Are you sure you don't want me to accompany you?" Mateo's offer echoed for what felt like the millionth time. I playfully rolled my eyes, trying to convey my independence, and gestured for him to go.

"You know I'll walk you until we find your friends," he insisted, a determination lacing his words.

Ever since meeting my brothers, they've all been incredibly protective, and, to be honest, a bit clingy. Mateo wasn't an exception.

I tried to convey that I was fine, but my silence made it easy for him to overlook my expressions. "Don't worry, I won't leave you alone!" he declared, his unwavering dedication written all over his face.

Together, we navigated the crowded hallway, Mateo shooting glares at anyone who dared to glance at me for more than a moment. I shot him a playful glare of my own, but he only smiled in response, his protectiveness never faltering as he gently guided me through the bustling corridors.

"Juliet!" Mia's voice rang out, drawing my attention. Her face lit up with excitement as she waved frantically, her right arm tugging on Adrian's jacket in an attempt to grab my attention.

"Those are your friends?" Mateo asked, observing the trio ahead. I nodded in confirmation. Rena shot a pointed look at Mateo, who returned the gesture. We walked towards them, and Mia immediately enveloped me in a warm hug.

"Hey, Julie! We were just heading to class. Want to come with us?" Her voice exuded eagerness. Rena, standing beside her, shot a curious glance at Mateo, expressing her concern without words.

"You know him, Juliet?" Rena inquired, her stance showcasing a mix of annoyance and concern. I nodded, noticing the genuine worry hidden beneath Rena's protective nature.

"He's not bothering you, right?" Rena's tone softened, revealing her underlying concern for my well-being. I shook my head, trying to reassure her that everything was fine.

"Of course, I am not bothering her! She's my sister," Mateo proudly declared, surprising my friends with his sudden revelation.

"Really?" Mia's surprise was evident.

"But you are so..." Adrian began, hesitating for a moment.

"She's what?" Mateo's protective side started to show, a hint of defensiveness creeping into his tone.

"Nice, sweet, kind, not an asshole like you and your brothers," Rena stated blankly.

Mia's eyes widened in shock as she quickly tried to shush Rena, realizing the abruptness and directness of her friend's statement. "Rena, maybe not that way," Mia intervened, shooting apologetic glances at Mateo

I quickly tugged on Mateo's arm, cutting him off, and he exhaled sharply, his protective aura visibly fluctuating. He looked down at me, a gentle yet slightly exasperated expression crossing his face before he patted my head, playfully messing up my hair, which made me glare at him with mock annoyance.

"Okay, Jules, I'll leave you to it. Call me if you need me," he said before planting a kiss on my head and heading off.

"Oh my gosh, why didn't you tell us you're a Valentine?" Mia exclaimed, shaking my arm like an overprotective child who'd eaten more candies than she should have.

"I thought it wasn't important," I signed, and Adrian nodded, translating my signs for the group. "Well, it's not that important. It's just that the Valentine brothers are, uh..."

"Assholes!" Rena interjected sharply, cutting off Adrian's explanation. Mia's eyes widened in shock. "Bunny, you shouldn't say that kind of thing here!" Mia chastised Rena.

"Why?" I signed, confused. Mia glanced at me before looking at Adrian, who let out a sigh. "I don't know if you know this, but your brothers are pretty well-known in school. Your family, in general, is very well-known. And, to be honest, many fear them."

I scrunched up my face in confusion. Fear? Why would anyone fear them? Yes, they were intimidating, but they weren't bad or anything. They were nice by far one of the nicest people that she had encountered.

Adrian noticed my puzzled expression and leaned in slightly. "It's not that they're bad people, Jules. They just have this reputation. You know, the whole 'don't mess with the Valentine' thing. People tend to keep their distance because of their confidence, or maybe their... intensity."

I furrowed my brows, trying to process this revelation. It seemed surreal that my brothers, whom I knew as caring and protective, were feared by others.

"But they're not like that," I signed, feeling the need to defend my brothers' character. "They're just protective because they care."

"Maybe, but people here might not feel the same way, Jules," Adrian said gently.

"Your brothers, though hot, can be pretty intimidating," Mia remarked. As soon as Mia said 'hot,' Rena swiftly slapped her arm.

"Ouch! What was that for?" Mia rubbed her arm where Rena had smacked her.

Rena shot her a pointed look. "Some things are better left unsaid, Mia."

"Sorry, sorry! It just slipped out," Mia apologized, looking sheepish.

Adrian chuckled lightly, trying to diffuse the situation. "Let's not dwell on that. Juliet, if you're okay, we should head to class before we're late."

♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎

AUTHORS NOTEWho do you guys want to see more of?

AUTHORS NOTE
Who do you guys want to see more of?

What did you guys think of this chapter?
Who do you want to see more of?
Questions?
Comments?
Any suggestions?
Don't forget to vote.

Adios mis amores ♥︎