Chapter .III. FAMILY DINNER

"Everyone has secrets, what would you do to keep yours hidden?"

A U T H O R S   P.O. V:

The dining room resonated with a lively cacophony of voices, each carrying its energy-some filled with playfulness, others tinged with annoyance. Led by Rafael, the girls approached the dining room, and the voices grew even louder as they drew nearer.

With each passing second, the girls' nervousness heightened. As Rafael turned a corner, he swung open the colossal double doors, revealing a sight that took their breath away. The dining room exuded a timeless beauty, oozing sophistication and charm.

Intricate architectural details adorned the space, captivating the girls' attention. Their eyes were immediately drawn to the grand crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling, its countless prisms sparkling and casting a mesmerizing glow.

Cream-colored walls boasted golden candle holders, emitting a warm and inviting radiance throughout the room. Majestic pillars added a sense of grandeur, enhancing the overall aesthetic. The walls showcased carefully curated paintings, each a masterpiece in its own right, bursting with vibrant colors and captivating details.

At the center of the room stood a magnificent table, crafted from the finest acacia wood, adorned with an array of delectable foods. Eleven white velvet chairs surrounded the table, exuding elegance and sophistication. As daylight faded, soft, muted lighting emerged, casting a warm glow that further accentuated the room's beauty.

Delicate candelabras, fashioned from glistening silver, adorned the table, casting a soft and intimate glow. Seated at the head of one side of the table was Dante Valentine, the eldest among the Valentine children. His presence commanded respect, and his brothers held a healthy fear of him. Though Dante would never intentionally harm them, his formidable reputation served as a reminder to his siblings that he was not to be trifled with.

On the other side of the head table, a space remained conspicuously unoccupied. As the girls hesitated, Rafael gave them a questioning look, prompting them to quickly find their places, scattering to the remaining chairs.

Initially, Juliet contemplated sitting beside Rafael, the only person she knew at the table, but she worried that doing so would reveal her desire to distance herself from Dante, who happened to be seated closest to her. Fearing potential embarrassment, she decided to take the seat beside Dante instead. As she did, he glanced at her, his expression unreadable. Juliet fought the urge to flee or shrink in her seat under his gaze.

Dante
Juliet Antonio
Nicolas Elijah
Sebastian Scarlet
Marco Mateo
Violet
Rafael

Juliet couldn't shake the overwhelming discomfort she felt. Her mother had ingrained in her the belief that she was unworthy of sitting at a table, leading her to either stand and watch as others indulged in their meals or to eat on the floor. During these mealtimes, she was often berated for using her hands as if she were an animal. The mistreatment had diminished Juliet's appetite over time, leaving her with no desire to eat, even when they had gone days without food.