CHAPTER. VII. COOKIES

"Is the little things that help us bond the best."

S C A R L E T    V A L E N T I N E

After leaving Rafael's office, Juliet and I decided to indulge in something sweet. I preferred salty snacks, but I didn't mind treating myself to something sugary now and then.

As Juliet gathered all the necessary ingredients, she excitedly announced her plan to bake chocolate chip cookies. I was thrilled as I adored her cookies.

In the past, I used to assist Juliet in the kitchen. However, my kitchen skills were doubted by my sister ever since the incident where I attempted to warm a cake in the microwave and ended up burning it along with the plastic plate it was on. Since then, Juliet never trusted me near the oven or stove again. However, she understood that I still wanted to contribute, so she would assign me simpler tasks to keep me involved.

Juliet meticulously rearranged everything in preparation and began using her trusted baking utensils.

With each step she completed, she promptly cleaned up the tools she no longer needed. Cleaning seemed to come naturally to her, especially in the kitchen.

I believed it was due to our strict upbringing by our mother.

She would always host extravagant parties, pretending they were sophisticated and elegant gatherings.

However, behind closed doors, they were nothing more than a collection of wealthy individuals engaged in drinking, gambling, and scandalous affairs.

During these occasions, my primary objective was to shield my sisters from the inappropriate advances of the guests.

I vividly recall a disturbing incident where a man attempted to forcefully pull Violet onto his lap and touched her inappropriately. In a moment of panic, I grabbed a nearby knife that was being used to cut the caps off wine bottles and swiftly severed the man's hand.

I faced severe consequences for my actions, enduring punishment that left me with lingering pain.

The image of blood dripping from my back as my sisters screamed for the brutality to cease still haunted me. Despite the repercussions, I had no regrets.

I would endure any punishment if it meant keeping my sisters safe. Shaking my head, I attempted to push the horrific memory aside.

As Juliet hummed a familiar lullaby from our childhood, she diligently continued her work. Whenever she turned away from the bowl, I took the opportunity to sneak a spoonful of the delectable cookie batter and savor its sweetness.