Chapter. XXX. FANTASY

J U L I E T   V A L E N T I N E

J U L I E T V A L E N T I N E

Sometimes, I forget it hasn't been long since we arrived at the mansion. I try to keep my distance to not get attached but with every day that passes the walls that surround my heart crack.

And Violet was less than pleased by it. Our relationship has always been more complicated than the one I have with Scarlet. While Scarlet was overprotective Violet was suffocating almost obsessive.

Deep down, I know she cares for me, but I also know some things keep her from completely loving me.

"You need to stop following them like a lost puppy. You look pathetic." Violet Violet scolded while methodically brushing my hair.

"Violet, I think we can trust them," I attempted to reason with her. She only scoffed, her fingers pulling at my hair slightly.

"Trust what? They'll toss you aside like everyone else. Then who will be there to pick up the pieces, to solve your problems again?" Her tone dripped with condescension, prompting me to look down in embarrassment at my naivety.

She was right. The feeling of being unlovable, a self-made monster, clung to me.

Violet sighed, setting the brush down on the vanity. Her eyes met mine through the mirror, scanning my face with a mix of concern and understanding.

"The world is harsh for someone like you. You're too naive, too trusting. They will only destroy you."

"But they're different. Maybe we can finally be a family, Violet."

"Really? You think they're that different?" she mocked, her beautiful face contorting slightly. "Will they love you once they discover the truth about you? That you're a murderous monster, a hideous freak, a person whose body was sold as a prostitute?"

Her words felt like sharp daggers clinging to my skin, and tears pricked at the corners of my eyes. I felt embarrassed and small under her gaze.

"No" I managed to sign back to her. "One day will understand that everything I do is for us," she said gently. She then turned around and left me alone in the large room.

A knock interrupted my train of thought, and I glanced back at the door that opened slightly. Rafael stood there, looking quite awkward.

"Hey, I wanted to check on you. I heard that you weren't feeling well again." He walked over to me with a little tray in hand.

"We made some soup; the boys tried to help, but they can't cook to save their lives, and Scarlet was honestly creeping me out with the knife."

I chuckled slightly, knowing my sister did indeed love her knives. I nodded gratefully and gestured to the bed corner. "May I?" He nodded, and I sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I will be honest, Juliet; I am worried about you. I think we should see a doctor," Rafael said, his eyes filled with genuine concern.

I quickly stood up and made a dismissive gesture with my hands. "Juliet, you've been sick for the past months since I've known you. You look paler by the day," he remarked.

Still, I shook my head. "Is there something you aren't telling me, Julie?" He asked gently. At that moment, I wanted to tell him everything, but when he looked at me with so much love and concern, I couldn't do it.

Because as soon as I told him, all that would be replaced by hatred and disgust, and I wanted to keep that little fatherly love to myself, to experience what it's like to have a big loving family rather than a broken one.

I shook my head, and he still didn't seem convinced. "I just hate hospitals," I signed. Rafael had done his best to learn sign language, and so far, he and Dante were the easiest to communicate with besides my sisters.

He let out a loud sigh, but his eyes softened. "Alright, but if you get any worse, we will go to the hospital." I nodded and hugged him.

Right there I decided to indulge in this fantasy of a family where I don't have to be worried about the monsters that arrive at my room at night.

AUTHORS NOTE
HI!
So what did you think of this chapter?

Any suggestions for the next one?

What is your favorite character so far?

What do you want to see more of?