CHAPTER. XXV. RACING WITH GHOST

S C A R L E T   V AL E N T I N E   P O V

I raced my car through the night, the engine roaring as I left both Ryder and my brother in the dusk, weaving through the streets in a bid to escape the reality that suffocated me. Racing was my secret, a means to earn some extra cash.

In the middle of the race, I wasn't in the lead. There was no one ahead of me, just the night enveloping the illuminated streets as I sped past them.

Nico, my brother, was the first to come close. The confident smirk on his face annoyed me. I wanted to wipe it away.

He made a playful gesture, raising his fist as if in triumph, and I couldn't help but laugh at his antics. Before long, he accelerated ahead, leaving me in the dust.

I laughed and pressed the accelerator harder, determined to regain the lead. Next to me, Ryder joined in the playful banter, gesturing with his middle finger. I responded more playfully, sticking my tongue out before gunning the engine to reclaim the lead, surprising Nico.

As I zoomed past Nico, his curses trailed behind me, and I laughed, like a mad woman, who had just stolen candy from a child. I just needed to conquer one more street.

Suddenly, blinding flashes of light filled my vision, and an echoing scream pierced the night.

"Scarlet, we won't make it!" I didn't listen, tears flowing freely down my cheeks.

"Yes, we will, Juliet, hold on tight!" I encouraged.

"She's losing so much blood, Scarlet. Oh my god, it's all my fault. What have I done?"

"Don't blame yourself. Just focus on stopping the bleeding," I reassured.

"If I hadn't turned around..."

"You did what you had to," I said, though I could feel Juliet sobbing as she clutched the injured body close to her chest.

"It should have been me," I heard her whisper.

I snapped out of my daze when I nearly collided with the sidewalk, my heart pounding in my chest. I regained control of my car, but everyone overtook me.

I ended up at the back of the race, but that wasn't my concern. "Scarlet, are you okay?" Nico asked, sounding worried.

I stared at the ground, haunted by flashes of blood, fire, screams, and cries that overwhelmed my mind.

"Scarlet!" Nico's voice broke through.

"Yes—sorry, I am fine." I let Nico hug me, seeking solace in the warmth of his embrace.

Nico's arms felt warm and comforting, a stark contrast to the chilling memories that haunted my thoughts. The race was forgotten as I leaned into the embrace, trying to suppress the tremors that wracked my body.

Ryder pulled up beside us, his playful demeanor from moments ago replaced with concern etched across his face. "Scarlet, what happened? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I struggled to compose myself, my hands trembling as I wiped away the tears that streaked my cheeks. "It's nothing. Just a momentary lapse, that's all."

Nico held me at arm's length, concern etched in every line of his face. "Are you sure? You looked terrified. Do you want me to take you home?"

I shook my head, trying to steady my voice. "I'm fine, Nico. Just caught up in the moment, that's all."

Ryder's piercing gaze lingered on me for a moment longer, as if trying to unravel the layers of my distress. "If you say so, Scarlet. But if you need anything, you know where to find us."

I managed a weak nod, watching them drive off as I tried to regain my composure. The memories flooded back, raw and vivid as if they had happened just moments ago. Juliet's voice, choked with despair, echoed in my mind.

The headlights of passing cars cast fleeting shadows that danced across the streets, an eerie reflection of the turmoil swirling within me. I couldn't let my guard down, couldn't allow my past to seep into the present.

The race had dispersed, and I found myself alone on the now-empty streets, the echoes of that traumatic memory still reverberating in my mind. I took a deep breath, trying to push aside the haunting images that clawed at my consciousness.

Finally, I started my car and drove off, the streetlights flickering past like distant memories. Each turn, each passing mile, was an attempt to leave behind the haunting scenes that had disrupted the race, the scars of my past threatening to rupture the fragile façade I presented to the world.

As I reached the outskirts of town, a strange mixture of relief and exhaustion washed over me. I pulled over, my hands gripping the steering wheel as I tried to quell the turmoil that swirled within me. The night air felt heavy, suffocating, as if holding the weight of my unspoken fears.

Juliet's voice lingered in my mind, her sorrowful words echoing in the silence of the car. The guilt, the regret, threatened to engulf me, a suffocating embrace that left me gasping for air.

The events of that fateful night, the accident that had altered everything, had cast a long shadow over my existence, a shadow that I could never shake off, no matter how hard I tried.

♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢♦︎♢

AUTHORS NOTE

Who do you guys want to see more of ?

What did you guys think of this chapter?
Who do you want to see more of?
Questions?
Comments?
Any suggestions?
Don't forget to vote.

Adios mis amores ♥︎