CHAPTER. XXI. SNATCHED

R A F A E L    V A L E N T I N E

Coming home after a long, exhausting week of work was a relief, and I cherished the idea of relaxing and spending time with my children. The gentle smile on Violet's face greeted me as I entered the house.

"Dad, how was your day? How was work?" she inquired, her genuine concern evident.

"It was exhausting, dear, but I'm just glad to be home. No need to worry about that," I reassured her.

"Don't be silly," Violet insisted. "I want to hear about your day."

Before I could respond, Scarlet and Sebastian came bounding towards us, their youthful energy on full display.

"Don't get closer!" Scarlet warned Sebastian, trying to sound stern while a smile played on her lips.

Sebastian, undeterred, protested, "What? I just want a hug."

She scrunched her nose in mock disgust. "You stink, and you're sweaty."

Sebastian, unfazed, sniffed his shirt. "Oh, come on, it's not that bad." He took a step closer, and Scarlet retreated.

"Dad!" she called for my assistance, and I intervened.

"Leave your sister alone, Sebastian," I scolded him. Sebastian gave Scarlet an exaggerated pout before charging after her, and they both burst into laughter.

Seeing them getting along filled me with a sense of contentment, even though I suspected those two would likely be up to mischief later.

The kitchen was a scene of culinary chaos, with Marco and Mateo taking the lead in preparing dinner. Marco had embraced a freestyle approach, while Mateo diligently followed a recipe. The rest of the siblings were busy assisting in various ways.

If I had to describe the kitchen in one word, it would be "chaotic." Flour was scattered about, eggshells littered the counter, and plates and pans were strewn haphazardly.

Elijah looked up and greeted me with an easygoing smile. "We made dinner and thought we'd whip up something special for you."

I smiled appreciatively. "Just don't try whatever Marco is doing," Antonio chimed in with a warning.

"Hey!" Marco defended himself, only to receive a comforting pat on the back from Juliet, who wore a mockingly sorrowful expression, much to Scarlet's amusement.

"Dinner is ready!" Sebastian announced with enthusiasm. We all gathered around the table as they continued their playful banter.

I extended my gratitude to everyone for their hard work in preparing the meal and was about to take my first bite when a chicken leg was abruptly snatched from my plate. My startled exclamation drew everyone's attention.

"What the-" I began, only to be interrupted by Juliet's gasp and Scarlet and Elijah's laughter as I struggled to regain control of my dinner from a mischievous puppy.