CHAPTER. XIX. LUNCH

S C A R L E T   V A L E N T I N E

The cafeteria buzzed with a lively atmosphere, bustling with people engaged in conversations and mingling with friends.

Among the crowd, Marco, Mateo, and Nicolas found their spot at a table. Their presence seemed to attract attention, enveloping them in a celebrity-like aura.

Amidst the bustling scene, Violet stood at the center of a curious crowd, her enigmatic presence drawing people in.

As for me, I sat with my friends, engrossed in Ken's discussion about his latest personal project. Suddenly, a distinct presence loomed behind me, and I turned to meet Ryder's gaze.

Ryder, accompanied by his friends, wore a broad grin that played on his lips. His eyes remained fixed on me, lingering on my face for a moment longer than I was comfortable with. Suppressing the urge to touch my scar, I battled the self-consciousness it invoked.

Ryder's gaze magnified my self-awareness of the scar, fueling the insecurity I had harbored about it for so long. A sense of discontent settled within me.

A smug expression crossed Ryder's lips as he turned to Scarlet. "Hey, firecracker, don't forget the upcoming race next week. I'll be anticipating your presence there."

With a scoff, I retorted, "Oh, please, we both know I'm going to emerge victorious." Ryder raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued.

"And what makes you so sure, my dear?" he challenged.

"Because, dear, I happen to be miles ahead of you," I countered, holding his gaze with unwavering confidence, which he matched.

"Very well, get ready to see my dust, darling," Ryder declared, twirling a strand of hair between his fingers. Shocked by his flirtatious move, I swiftly regained my composure.

Raising an eyebrow, I wasn't one to back down from his taunts. "Ryder, you're good with words, but can you deliver on the track?"

His playful grin remained unaltered. "You can bet on it, Scarlet. Just make sure you're close enough to witness my victory."

Leaning in with a smirk, I fired back, "Oh, Ryder, I'll be sure to give you a front-row seat so you can see how it's truly done."

Amidst the amused glances exchanged by our friends, Maria joined the conversation with a grin. "Looks like you two are all set to put on a show."

I nodded, adding a wink. "Maria. It's not every day that Ryder gets a chance to witness my victory dance."

Ryder put on a mock shudder. "Oh, please, spare me the agony."

Just as I was about to respond, an irate voice interjected. "What race are you talking about, Scarlet? And why are you associating with him?" The voice belonged to Nicolas, who directed his glare at Ryder.

Turning to Ryder, I noticed him stepping in before I could respond. "Nicolas, calm down. We were just having a conversation," he assured, though Nicolas remained steadfast in his displeasure.

"Stay the fuck away from my sister," Nicolas demanded, his eyes locked on Ryder.

In mock surrender, Ryder lifted his hand with a smirk playing on his lips. "Alright, alright. Relax, Nicolas. We were simply having a bit of fun."

Nicolas' glare intensified. "I don't trust you, Ryder."He sneered. "You're nothing but a lying and deceiving piece of shit. Stay away from my sister."

Puzzled by Nicolas' sudden protectiveness, I wondered about his motives. His behavior had consistently been rude and inconsiderate since my arrival. So his current stance caught me off guard.

But if he thought that he could control me I had another thing coming, I wouldn't let anyone dictate my choices. I interrupted the exchange before it escalated. "Enough, Nicolas. I don't know what's gotten into you, but I can take care of myself."

With that, I turned on my heel and left the cafeteria. It wasn't long before Nicolas' footsteps echoed behind me.

I turned, annoyed, to face him. "Since when did you start attending these races?" I rolled my eyes. "I've been part of the racing scene for quite a while."

"You shouldn't be involved in them; they're dangerous and filled with risky individuals. Are you out of your mind?" Nicolas hissed with concern.

"No, I'm not. I've been handling this for a while, and you don't get to dictate my choices." I asserted. "And by the way, you seem to have quite the involvement in these street races as well, don't you?" My tone oozed sarcasm.

Nicolas glared at me. "That's different. I know what I'm doing and who I'm dealing with."

"Do you think I don't?" I shot back. "Nicolas, I've been fending for myself for years. I didn't need your interference then, and I certainly don't need it now."

His features hardened, stung by my words. I expected him to retaliate, but his expression softened a bit, a hint of frustration lingering.

"Scarlet, you might believe you've got everything under control, but Scarlet you are dealing with things you can't understand."

Crossing my arms, I let my irritation show. "I understand your concern, but I've been racing for a while. I'm well aware of the risks and how to handle them."

He seemed conflicted, torn between his protective instincts and his recognition of my independence. "Just promise me you'll be cautious, alright?"

Acknowledging his care, I softened my tone. "I promise, Nicolas. I'll be careful."

Though he wasn't entirely pleased, he seemed to accept my assurance. "Just... stay away from Ryder, okay? He's trouble."

I rolled my eyes, offering a teasing smile. "Don't worry, Nicolas. Ryder's not a challenge I can't handle. I know how to hold my own against him."

He smirked, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "Well, you've certainly got a fiery spirit. Just make sure you keep him on his toes."

Smirking back, I replied, "Trust me, Ryder is the least of my worries. Despite his irritating personality
, he's practically harmless."

"Keep your guard up with him," Nicolas cautioned. Then his tone softened, revealing a hint of vulnerability. "And, Scarlet, whether you believe it or not, I do care about you. I'm sorry for how I've acted these past few weeks."

"Apology accepted," I replied with a playful grin. "Not everyone can be as perfect as me." He rolled his eyes, but his grin mirrored mine.

" He rolled his eyes, but his grin mirrored mine

Who do you guys want to see more of?

What did you guys think of this chapter?
Who do you want to see more of?
Questions?
Comments?
Any suggestions?
Don't forget to vote

Adios mis amores ♥︎