CHAPTER. XXIV. BET

S C A R L E T   V A L E N T I N E

S C A R L E T V A L E N T I N E

The night breeze swept through, playing with loose strands of my hair as I stood there, cigarette in hand, the cherry end glowing in the dimly lit street. Maria's voice cut through my reverie.

"Ready, Red?" she asked, a playful glint in her eye. I flashed her a grin, sliding off the hood of the vibrant red car.

"Ria, you should know by now - I'm always ready," Maria smirked back, a mischievous twinkle dancing in her eyes. "Are you sure?" she teased.

"What do you mean?" I replied, feigning innocence.

"Well, my dear Red, don't you think I've noticed the looks Mr. Ryder's been sending your way all week?" Maria said, a playful tone in her voice.

I rolled my eyes, trying to mask the blush that threatened to creep onto my cheeks. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mmm," she hummed, casting a glance towards Quinn, engrossed in conversation with her friends. "I don't know why it's so hard for you to tell her that you like her."

"What?!" Maria's sudden outburst startled me.

"It's obvious."

"Really?" she asked, seeking confirmation. I nodded, and she groaned. "I—I don't know. I guess I've always been afraid of what she might say. You know how she can be."

"And why do you think she'd reject you?"

Maria turned to me, her expression a mix of vulnerability and frustration. "Please, Red, look at me. I'm just some rich girl whose parents barely notice her, and I can barely string a sentence together in her presence. I can't handle her rejecting me."

"You never know just ask her out,"l said trying to encourage her. Maria gazed longingly at Quinn. "Just wishful thinking," she whispered.

Shaking her head, she redirected the conversation. "Anyways, we've got a race to win." I opted not to pry further despite my curiosity.

"There you are!" Kenneth's voice echoed, followed closely by Carlos.

"We need to win this race!" Carlos declared with fervor.

"Oh, and why is that?"

"Nothing, I just can't stand those racers from hell," Carlos replied, his irritation evident.

Maria rolled her eyes. "Carlos, let it go. It happened ages ago. You can't still be mad about it."

"How dare you, Maria? They trashed my car!"

"Yeah, it was an eyesore. If you ask me, they did you a favor," Carlos shot a scowl at his sister. And I laughed at their familiar banter.

"Ready for the race, little sis?" Nico's voice interrupted, prompting me to swiftly stub out my cigarette and discard it.