38 | The Bad Trip

Start from the beginning

Jen shakes her head. "He just got the documents he found and left. I heard him pack his bags and he just didn't want to listen to anything I had to say. He's not going to come back and hear me out."

"What documents? I thought you told him because you said you needed the right time?" I ask.

"The birth certificates and adoption forms," she says, "I don't know how he knew where to look!"

"Do you have a slight clue as to where he might've gone?"

"I don't know. Probably back home?"

"Home? Like back in Texas?" I ask, furrowing my brows at her answer.

Could he possibly be making his way to Texas? There was nothing out there for him to go back to.

"It's the only place he would most likely go back. He had a whole lot of friends over there before we made the move," Jen sniffles.

"Do you still remember the address?"

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Sunday, March 23rd

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

"Ms. Evangeline." Varushka gets my attention as she stands by my door. "Tiffany is here to see you."

Varushka gives me a polite smile as she steps aside. Tiffany walks into my room cautiously. "You weren't answering my texts or phone calls so this is my last resort," she says, "what's going on?"

I motioned to the overnight bags that I was packing. "I'm going to Texas and see if I can find Ambrose."

"What's going on, Angie? Why did he leave?" Tiffany asks with concern laced in her voice.

"Ambrose found out that his parents are his real parents. He found birth certificates confirming that he was adopted," I say, "I think he decided to leave when he found out that I knew and didn't tell him."

"You knew? Why didn't you tell him?"

"Look, his mom asked me not to say anything and was afraid of losing him when he was in the hospital. I just did what was asked," I say, "Can everyone just stop blaming me for one second?"

"Relax, I'm not blaming you for anything. I just want to know the details," she says, "I have to make sure you're okay. I can deal with Ethan later. I have another plan for that which I'll do on my own."

"No, don't do that. Don't put yourself in danger."

"What's your plan for Texas? You're just going to drive down there? Do you even know if he's where you think he is?" She asks.

I shrug my shoulders. "His mo—his adoptive mom gave me their old address. He took her car and she's scared that he might go into hiding if she tries reporting the car as stolen," I explain, "that's the only lead I have. We both think that he might've gone to see his old friends to get away from us."

"Do you think he still talks to anyone over there? I mean can't you see who he's following and get clues from his social media page?"

A lightbulb goes off in my mind. I reach for my phone and go onto Ambrose's profile. I click on his following list.

"He doesn't really follow a whole lot of people so it should be easy to condense the number of potential friends he knows," I say.

"Here I'll help you go through it," she says, pulling out her phone.

We sit there for a few minutes scrolling through Ambrose's following list when we see five profiles that share similar information in their biographies.