05 | The Unwanted Reminder

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Tuesday, August 20th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

I surprised myself when I finished the entire school day and didn't skip the last few classes like I had done yesterday. I was well on my way home when I saw a car I didn't expect to see in the driveway. Not only were both my parents home, but so was the person that made us move in the first place.

My only options were to wait it out at some fast food place or the mall, but those were far from the neighborhood and further down the hills. My only option was to stay at Evangeline's house for the meantime. I knew she was already home since her meetings ended around 4:30 p.m. and her black car was in the driveway already.

I hesitated for a couple minutes to just go up to her house and ask to stay until the monster leaves. So I pushed my pride aside and slipped through her fence, into the driveway, and right up her large front door.

Her house was pretty big, bigger than ours for sure, and than most houses on this street. I knocked on the door and a couple seconds later the familiar blonde maid opened up the door with a questioning look in her eyes.

"Yes?" Her Russian accent peeks through as her soft voice speaks.

I type a response onto my phone and show it to her. After reading it she nods and holds up a finger. "Give me one second," she says with a smile.

After the maid leaves, Evangeline stands by the doorway a minute later. After I explain to her why I'm here, she lets me through.

Her house looks even bigger and brighter on the inside. So many decorative pieces you only see in celebrity homes and large abstract paintings by artists that must've cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everything is white and pristine, and obviously cleaned about twice a day to maintain that high quality appearance. I spot the family pictures on a side table by one of the walls where a younger version of Evangeline and a little boy are posing in front of a beach. Other pictures include her parents and all the places they have visited.

She leads the way up to her room which is a long hallway with windows on one side of the wall that looks out to the other side of the neighbor's house. We go into the first door on the right side of the hall and I'm surprised at the sight of Evangeline's room.

I was prepared to see pink and flower patterned bedsheets, pink walls, posters of boy bands or pop singers on the walls, a vanity overflowing with expensive perfume and makeup brands, but it was quite the opposite.

One side of the room's wall was a built-in bookshelf filled with all sorts of textbooks and first edition classics. Her walls were a beige color and the only things on her walls were her accomplishments and pictures of places she's been to or old pictures of herself and friends. Her room was pretty neat, only a couple papers spilled onto the floor and shoes that were messily put away by her closet.