32 | The Winter Fest

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Wednesday, January 29th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

I've been sneaking into Evangeline's room everyday now ever since that night.

After her freakout, I wanted to do the best that I could to help her get out of that dark place that she felt she was trapped in. I knew what it was like to be reminded of the moment that you wish you could forget, but anything could trigger that memory.

We study together like we usually do and use sign language to talk in case her parents are hovering around. When we do hear them coming close to Evangeline's room, I usually hide out on her balcony or under her bed.

It's like an anxiety inducing game since we never know when they'll pop up and how much time I have to move around and hide.

It was obvious that I was really beginning to like Evangeline, more than I did before. She was coming out of her shell more and became more comfortable around me. It was also becoming hard to stay away from her.

"Ambrose!" I hear my name get called out. I was on my way to my art class right after lunch when Maya followed me right outside of the classroom. "I have something to ask you, but I was nervous to ask you in front of everyone," she says, nervously.

What's up?

"Well you know how the dance is this Saturday, well I was wondering if you weren't going with Evangeline, if you wanted to go with me? As friends though," she says sheepishly.

"I talked to Evangeline and she said it was fine, but I wanted to make sure. Plus I don't like anyone else at this school."

I don't mind going, but I don't have a tux ready.

"No worries, I can just send you a picture of the dress I'm wearing and color coordinate a tie or something," she says, "I just need you for pictures since my grandma won't stop bugging me about not having a date to any dance."

Tell your grandma to have the camera ready.

Maya laughs and thanks me. I finally go inside the classroom and Tiffany is leaning against the threshold, listening in on what Maya was saying.

"So I don't understand sign language, but did you just agree to taking Maya to the dance?" She asks.

I pull out my phone and text on a blank note.

As friends. Evangeline already knows if that's what you're inquiring about.

She hums and goes to sit at her seat. I follow behind and sit next to her. She looks quite bothered to me.

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

I usually sneak into Evangeline's room around an hour after she gets home from school. She's already waiting for me outside on the balcony and I make my way over to her backyard. Luckily for me, her parents have left for the evening and won't come back until it's time for me to leave.