29 | The New Year

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

Wednesday, December 25th

─────── ☆*・゜゚・*♡ ───────

My younger cousins screeched with excitement as everyone started opening up their presents bright and early this morning.

My dad's brother had invited us to stay with them for winter break back in Texas. I was exactly looking forward to it due to the fact that Sandra was also here in Texas.

After we moved to Hollow Grove, Sandra started living in a small studio apartment and occasionally visited us. I hated that she was still within close driving distance and wasn't across the world like I would've hoped. I was better knowing that she was elsewhere and not here.

Yet she was sitting directly across from me on one of the dark maroon couches wearing her christmas themed pajamas.

"This one is yours," Matt, my thirteen year old cousin, hands me a small wrapped box. It was obvious that he had wrapped it from how some pieces were sticking out and how many pieces of tape were taping the entire paper down.

Thank you.

He smiles at me and sits back down on the ottoman that sits in the middle of the living room. Christmas was one of the few holidays I seemed to enjoy. Only because Sandra kept her distance and sickly enjoyed seeing me happy.

The wrapping came off in one tug revealing a stack of vinyls. Ones that I didn't have in my collection. Meaning someone must've helped and was snooping around my room.

"Aunt Stacy helped me pick it out," Matt says shyly. Confirming my suspicions that it was my mom who was snooping around.

I like them a lot.

"He likes them," my mom says, translating my words for Matt.

"Okay, my turn," Sandra says, her voice making me feel like a bucket of ice water rained down my head.

She stands up and heads over to the Christmas tree. She grabs a rectangular box that's a bit bigger than most of the gifts here. I could see that everyone was eyeing it, trying to see who it may have belonged to.

"Here you go." She hands me the gift and I cautiously grab it from her. I eye the big box and try to think of what she could've given me.

She's not one to give a lot of gifts and if she does it's usually a giftcard to an arts and crafts store or art supplies. This was rare.

I tear the wrapping paper off of the box, revealing a black case. One that fits a guitar.

I look up at Sandra and she wears a smirk on her face. I toss the wrapping paper aside and click open the buckles on the side of the box.