chapter fourty-five

Carlos S.

"What the fuck Ricky, what do you mean she's not here?" I shouted at Antonia's assistant.

When I had woken up this morning, the bed next to me was empty, except fro Luca, who had been sleeping there after his nightmare. After he had fallen asleep I laid there for another hour, thinking about his words.

But it was crazy, Antonia wasn't pregnant, she would have told me, that for sure. Even though we didn't had sex for a couple of weeks now so if she really was pregnant, then she must surely know it.

Maybe that was the reason why she acted so strange, maybe she was scared what I would say to that. But god, why hadn't she said anything to me, I would have been happy. I loved her and Luca and another child would only make our family bigger, it would be perfect, even though it wasn't planned.

But maybe it was just a crazy dream and a coincidence that she acted strange over the last weeks, how should Luca know. But then I arrived with him at the paddock today and after some conversation I wanted to go to her office, but it was empty.

"She was here last night, yes, but she said she will go after an hour or so." Ricky said and tried to calm me down as some engineers looked over at us.

"And what is that?!" I yelled and showed him the screen of my phone, where a message was open, that Audi racing had published a couple of minutes ago.

"We had to think fast before people would suspect something."

"By saying that she isn't feeling well today and will stay at the hotel?" I still shouted at him, "But she isn't at the hotel Ricky, at least not in our room. And I tried to call her, she's not picking up."

Her assistant looked at me and I saw something in his eyes that told me, that he wasn't saying the whole truth.

"Is it another man?" I then asked quietly, my voice shaking as I was scared for the answer.

"God no, Carlos, that's not what's going on."

"Then what is it?!"

"Sorry guys, but Ricky I need you in ten minutes at my office, we need to go over the strategies for today." Thomas interrupted us, as he was now the boss, when Antonia wasn't there.

"Yeah sure." Ricky shouted after him before he turned towards me again and lowered his voice, "Follow me."

I did like he said and we quickly went over to Antonia's office, closing the door behind us.

"What's really going on Ricky?" I sighed and took a seat on Antonia's chair.

"I always told her that she should speak to you, but she always said she want to protect you, you and Luca and that you should focus on racing as you are doing such a great job this season."

A little smile laid on my lips as I thought about Antonia praising me.

"She... She had the feeling of being followed, or watched." Ricky stuttered and my jaw dropped.

"What?!"

"Yeah, that's also the reason why she never wanted to leave with you guys, she didn't have work here, she just wanted to keep you out of this."