chapter twenty-four

Antonia W.

"Yeah, boat trip with Carlo!" Luca shouted and clapped his hands happily.

"Oh honey, but Carlos wanted some time alone to relax, I don't think he will have that if we join him." I explained to him, not really sure what I should think of this.

Luca looked a bit sad before he looked over to Carlos, asking him again, if it would be okay that we go with him on the boat. I kept quiet as I had a strange feeling inside me, not really sure if that would be a good idea, I was still his boss and not some friend.

"I would love nothing more than to spend that time with you two." the Spaniard returned before his voice calmed down, "I really want to make sure you're safe, so please come with me."

Safe. The last weeks and all of his words about it made me think and I really didn't feel safe around Sebastian any more. He had never hit me like back in Germany but his words and sometimes his touches were a bit forced.

All the kisses were feeling numb and without emotion and the two times we had sex it was just him taking his pleasure without considering how I felt during it. It was awful to be honest and I was scared for my son, but I was to scared to break up with him again or anything like that.

But as I knew he had some important business meetings and trips over the summer, it was the perfect timing for me and Luca to go on a trip alone, with Carlos, what he wouldn't notice like that.

"Okay fine, we are in." I sighed after some moments and immediately Luca threw his arms around my neck.

"Yes mama thank you." he said in my neck before looking over to Carlos, "This will be so much fun."

"It will be, I am really looking forward to it." the Spaniard returned and smiled at my son as he jumped of my lap and went over to his seat next to Carlos again.

As he did so, I stretched my hand out and Carlos immediately took it, laying our intertwined fingers on the table between us, before looking deep into my eyes.

"Thanks, I really appreciate it." he whispered back at me and in that moment I felt the urge to lean over and kiss him, but I didn't.

I was in a conflict with myself as my head and my heart were telling me two different things and I wasn't sure which path I should follow. But all my actions and words clearly led into one direction and even though I was scared, I told myself to follow that way, at least tonight.

After Luca had finished his dessert, Carlos paid. And yes I let him pay, as like he said this had nothing to do with our jobs and it was just a date and gentleman like he is he paid. Different to last time this time I couldn't argue about it and just smiled at him as a thank you.

As Luca was beaming of energy we decided to walk a bit back, as the restaurant was outside the city and only a small street was leading to it, so no other people were here, who could recognize us.

"He's so full of energy." Carlos giggled as we were walking behind Luca, who was running and jumping a couple of meters in front of us.

"He really is." I whispered back, still looking at the small human in front of me.

Suddenly I felt something brushing my hand and when I noticed what it was I started smiling. Carlos intertwined our fingers and so we walked hand in hand along the small street back to the city.