chapter twenty-nine

Carlos S.

Slowly the holiday was nearing it's end. The last days had been great though. We had spend some on the land and the others on the water, swimming and laying in the sun, just relaxing and having a good time.

In the evenings Luca, Antonia and I had watched movies or played board games and it had been always fun. The boy mostly sitting on my lap or cuddling towards me and I was really glad about that because he accepted me as his more or less step dad, even though none of us had ever used that term and also I didn't want to overstep something.

Luca was still her kid and Sebastians son but I was glad that he liked me, because I already saw him as some kind of family, it sometimes even felt like having a kid on my own. But unfortunately this trip was coming to an end.

As today was our last full day, before we had to ship back to the main land, we decided to go on a little adventure on another small island this afternoon. We had just finished lunch and Antonia was packing some stuff, so I decided to call my mother, who had tried to reach me this morning.

Since Antonia and Luca weren't on the deck any where near me, I decided to make a video call.

"Hola." I greeted my mother, as she picked up.

"Hola Carlos, you look good, all tanned from the sun." she said and I saw how she walked outside in the garden in our house back in Madrid.

"Yeah, the weather is perfect here."

"That's nice to hear, so what were you up to the last days?" she asked and took a seat on a chair in the shadow of our orange tree.

"Just on the water most of the time, but we also made little trips on some islands." I listed all the things we had been doing over the last days, lost in the memory so I didn't noticed what words just left my mouth.

"We? I thought you were on your own?" she asked and raised her eyebrow in question.

"Yeah, about that" I stuttered and grabbed my neck, "I had some change in plans short-term."

From the question in her face, a little smile appeared on her lips.

"Do you want to tell me something?" my mother asked and tried to peak into the background of my video.

"There's nothing to see, she's not on the deck at the moment." I returned and rolled my eyes, again not aware of what I said.

"She? So you have a new girlfriend? Or is it Isa?"

My eyes widened as soon as she said that name and I shook my head.

"Isa cheated on me, besides that she wasn't the right one for me."

"So this new girlfriend is? What's her name? Do I know her? What nice little girl has the honor to spend some days with you on your yacht?"

Nice little girl. I laughed at that phrase, because, yes Antonia was nice, but so not what my mother pictured her. She was a confident woman, even slightly older than me and nearly as tall as me, but she was perfect in her own way, just different from all my ex girlfriends.

"Carlos?" my mother asked as I drifted away in my thoughts, "Your smile says a lot, so tell me, who is that woman that makes you smile like that?"

She always had been curious about my love life and I couldn't mind her. As the only son in the family she sees this as her responsibility, like my dad did with my sisters.

"She's great, I really like her." was all I said, but I saw that my mother wasn't happy with that answer.

"That's so nice Carlos, you have to introduce us. Bring her over to Spain when you visit us, I wanna get to know her. Or is she busy, is she working? What does she do, is she a model or something?

Team Principal | Carlos SainzOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara