chapter thirty-nine

Antonia W.

It was shame, Checo only had driven ten laps before the car had an engine failure, on the last race of the year. Luckily, or unfortunately for Mercedes, also George's car had broken down and so Carlos and the other silver car where fighting for everything.

For P3 in the constructors as it was the last race and we were equal on points, so whoever would finish in front, was at that P3 in the standings. It were only five laps to go and Carlos was on P4 whilst the Mercedes was in front of him.

Luckily had had managed over the last laps to shorten the distance and was now even in the DRS of the car in front. The Spaniard tried to overtake but didn't manage to do it and so suddenly there were only two laps left.

Luca next to me was as excited as I as we looked at the cars on the screen. I held his little hand and squeezed it as Carlos started another try to overtake. This time the Mercedes drove wider then before and the Spaniard managed to do it.

He was in that P3 and after the last lap it was official. I could nearly hear Toto shouting through the paddock as I ran to the podium with Luca and the whole team. Of course I got strange looks from all sides as the whole weekend, but nothing had really happened about it.

The press of course spread the news wide and we got a lot of responses, the most of them pretty good, to our surprise. But all that doesn't matter now as he had done it, Carlos was on P3 and therefore also took Audi to this P3 in the constructors, I couldn't be more proud.

Soon after the Audi rolled in front of the big 3 and Carlos jumped out. He immediately took his helmet off and looked over the crowd. His look went through all the mechanics, his team, until his eyes met mine.

Quickly he sprinted over and pulled me and Luca, who was sitting on the barrier, in a tight hug.

"You did it papa, we are so proud of you." Luca giggled and brushed through Carlos's messy hair.

"Yes we are, you did amazing." I added and leaned forward to give him a kiss, "I love you."

"Love you too." he returned and kissed me back before shortly laying his lips on Lucas hair, "Love you too my boy."

The kid giggled as Carlos walked over to his team and then it suddenly hit me. This was the first time that we had kissed in public, in the middle of the pitlane to be specific. Tomorrow this picture would be everywhere.

But I didn't had much time to think about it as the interviews started. As Carlos took the microphone and went over to the interviewer, Lando, who came second came over to us.

"Hey little man." he said and gave Luca a fist bump, before quickly hugging me.

He was really a nice guy and we had chatted a lot this week, also as he and Carlos went golfing together and I decided to join them. Or better Carlos forced me to, because actually I am really bad a golf.

"Congratulation Lando, it was a great race." I smiled and he nodded towards Carlos.

"Thanks, but your man did great too, protected the team from the Merc, amazing."

"Yeah, that was really in the last moment, but glad he made it. For the team of course."

Lando laughed and nudged me before we looked over to Carlos, who's interview just started.