Chapter 124

The Contract

Chapter 124

Summer Holidays – July 31st – Harry's Birthday

Corvus hummed to himself, as he read the morning edition of the Daily Prophet. "Something has to be done to reassure the public. They are becoming quitedisenchanted with the Ministry. No doubt in view of their inability to solve Silverman's case." Which of course, was going to continue to remain unsolved. No witnesses, magical residue non-existent, coupled with the ambient magic and the magic people had actually been casting left them with people who couldn't have possibly murdered Silverman.

"I have noticed as such," Aurelius admitted, "More prevalent now due to a new round of recruits for jobs in the Ministry. A set of seventh years whom have left Hogwarts."

"They're afraid, for good reason, if we can't solve a case in their own building, what good are they?" Rabastan said derisively, never mind that he'd been the one to cast the spells that ended the foolish idiot's life. He would not let Harry doubt him, even for a moment. Anyone that did, well, they'd meet the same fate. His own copy discarded already; he honestly had no time for reading that crap anymore. Not when he had more interesting information to read.

He was attempting to gain his Mastery in Defensive Magicks. Which by the way was more difficult than he could have fathomed and he was only a few months into the course. He had decided not to wait until they came to the engagement party. He wanted to keep that a social party, not try to bring business into it. Plus, he had nothing to do one day so decided to go forth and see if it was possible.

He'd been accepted very, very quickly.

"People have got a right to be afraid, Dumbledore did a number on them. That sort of influence won't just disappear, the fearmongering he'd done before he leftalso didn't help. Knowing something and feeling it are two different things." Sirius told them, setting his empty plate aside.

"What are you suggesting?" Rodolphus asked, eating his own breakfast, having only arrived four minutes ago. Deciding on porridge and some fruit salad. His time in Africa had taught him a lot, including to take care of his body and the best way to do so. So, while he ate greasy meals, he also made an effort to eat healthier at least three or four times a week. Even if it was only breakfast. Easier to do during the summer, since Harry was rather strict about what came to the table.

Like it or not, Harry had those House-elves wrapped around his finger. The care he had for the Lestrange's paramount. Of course, if Corvus ordered, they'd do it, Corvus was after all their Master. However, Corvus understood where it was coming from and for the most part ceded to the youngster.

"No idea," Sirius shook his head, he had no alternatives offered. "Good luck with it."

A House-elf popped in disturbing the pensive silence, with a proclamation, "Master Harry is awake and will be down soon,"

"Since when did they say Master Harry?" Sirius blurted out, staring at his husband in silent demand for an explanation.

Rodolphus just shook his head at his husband's cluelessness. "Did you read the third and forth pages of the Daily Prophet?"

"Not really," Sirius screwed up his nose, "Why?" wondering what had caught Rod's attention, he flipped open the paper.

Then he began to read it curiously. Suitably distracted like Rodolphus had hoped.

"Finally, did it, have they?" Sirius commented, "Wasn't this on the cards a few years ago?" glancing at Aurelius.

"It was, I've only just gotten the law overturned, the alternative wasn't enough." Aurelius declared, a frown of his own crossing his features. It had been years in the making, and only those who could afford to go to Gringotts and get the test done.