Chapter 72

The Contract

Chapter 72

"Madam Pomfrey," Auror Proudfoot inclined his head in respect, "I'm Auror Proudfoot, this is Auror Smith. Can you tell us what exactly has happened? Any information at all that might help the case?" treating it seriously, children were the future after all. He took his job extremely serious.

Poppy nodded, "I remember you at Hogwarts, I had just begun mind, but you visited my wing a time or two." During his NEWTS if she recalled, requiring a calming draught.

"I did," Proudfoot nodded, giving her a small smile, "But the case?" he was here for professional reasons not to ruminate in the past.

Poppy glanced at her apprentice before replying, "I apologise for the belief that it might be something serious. My apprentice was remiss in calling you, as our Headmaster so graciously pointed out a few minutes ago."

The apprentice healer grimaced before continuing to take stock of the potion's cupboard.

"I'm sorry, if there is no case why are we here?" Smith questioned perturbed.

"A student has raised allegations of assault," Poppy explained, "But perhaps you're best hearing it from her." that way she'd get their genuine reactions and this might get through to the girl.

"Yes, yes, indeed we are," Proudfoot straightened immediately, assault, this was not something easily dismissed. Yet he knew Poppy was a very fair and strict witch. If she believed something had gone down, she would be the first to Floo call them. Yet if she didn't believe there was something to be concerned abouthe was curious but still, he was here to do his job.

"Through there?" Auror smith pointed towards the main wing, they'd all attended Hogwarts and knew there way around blindfolded.

"Yes," Poppy nodded, "We'll give you some privacy." Indicating that they could go ahead.

Aurors Proudfoot and Smith exited Poppy's office, making their way towards the main wing. Moody had given them this assignment; he'd been about to come himself before he received a call out that required a senior officer. They had cases themselves, big ones, including investigating the abuse of the Heir Potter of the Noble and most Ancient house of Potter.

"Ah, Headmaster Slytherin, perhaps you can shed some light for us?" Auror Smith said, stepping forward showing his identification. "Auror Smith and Proudfoot, we were called here due to an assault?"

"Yes!" the girl on the bed insisted, "I do want to report an assault."

Smith nodded seriously, "We'll need to get the results of the scan from Poppy, Headmaster, are you acting as her magical guardian or are her parents on the way?"

The relief that swept through Hermione was so strong, finally, finally someone was listening to her.

"I think perhaps you should understand what happened before we take those steps," Headmaster Slytherin said, mouth and eyes tight. "As for the moment, yes, I'll act as her magical guardian but for this moment only." Making it clear that he wouldn't be acting further in her stead. He was only doing this so he didn't have to have Muggles in his school, it made him feel disgusted just thinking about it. Plus, their faces were going to be amusing to say the least, and he was finding amusement in nearly every day life these days.

"Understood," the Aurors replied, scribbling away on their pads, feeling the Headmaster watching them, with an almost amused air surrounding him. It made them curious, why the merriment? Why weren't they taking it seriously?

"What's your name?" Smith begun.

"Hermione Jean Granger," Hermione said, daring them to comment on her blood status.