DIANA

DIANA

I must have been out of my mind to think that Dante was going to continue avoiding me or he was going to let me stay in Italy in peace.

He came the next day to the restaurant, watching me like a predator would a prey and requesting for a drink that conveniently had sex in it. I wasn't going to allow him seduce me with that beautiful blue eyes and rakish smile but even as I said that, I could feel my heart pounding furiously in my chest as I poured him the drink.

A gasp escaped my dry throat when his rough hands brushed against mine and I could very well remember where those hands had been two days ago.

He was doing this on purpose but to what gain? It was obvious that I found him attractive and most men I knew would be taking absolute advantage of that at the moment but not him. It was like he was waiting for me to do something stupid or make a fool of myself with my longing for him.

"A penny for your thoughts?" He muttered, watching me

"If you would like to know; I am having really murderous intents and all directed at one person" I told him, smiling sweetly

"Well, isn't that something?" He smirked.

My eyes drifted to his upturned mouth, the one that had covered my nipples as his tongue...

"We should definitely have sex" He announced snapping me away from the lucid thoughts I was having about him.

"Excuse me?" I snapped.

"You were undressing me just minutes ago" He commented, one eyebrow quirked up.

He was challenging me to deny that I did not want to strip him naked and run my tongue all over his bare torso.

"You are an ass and a very condescending jerk" I blew hot.

I watched his face harden and his eyes narrow to slits. It was like the man I knew had taken on a different look as he stared at me. I stepped back involuntarily, my mind drifting to the dream I had had the previous night. The one where he was beckoning unto me with a smile on his face... or was it really a smile.

We continued staring at each other until he sighed, his eyes clearing and the muscles of his face relaxing.

"When will you be done with everything you have to do today?" he asked me

"In the evening; why do you ask?" I replied

I did not want to dwell too much on the fact that I was scared of him; it could as well be my paranoia and the fact that I was in a different country

"You should come with me"

"I am going nowhere with you, Dante" I told him, simply

"You said something about house hunting and I remembered clearly telling you I had a cousin who was into real estate" he sighed in frustration

"Yes" I said, eyeing him with suspicion.

"I want you to meet said cousin and I think he has something that you will really like" he told me

It was sweet of him to still remember that I wanted to get a house and the weight of fear in my chest eased up a little bit

"Noon will not be too late, then?" I asked

"I don't think so but we might not be able to check the houses until you are free for a day. You can take the day off tomorrow" he concluded

"I cannot take the day off; I am trying to impress Luca and that doesn't happen with me taking the day off just one week into a job"

"You and I both know that you do not need this job" He muttered

"What did you say?" I asked

I heard him quite alright and he sounded like he knew who I was

"You are too delicate to be waiting tables, is what I meant" he said, smiling at me

I cleared my throat and smiled back, my chest heaving in relief. As much as I knew that if I wanted to do nothing for the rest of my life, I wouldn't have problems. I also did not want anyone here to discover that I was some rich billionaire heiress who left her family to begin waiting tables. It was going to have such huge impact on the image of my family and I wanted none of that for them.

"Do you always lapse into thoughts when someone this handsome is in front of you or is it just me?" Dante asked

I sneered

"You give yourself too much credit"

"Do you mean that I am not handsome, Diana?" He said softly, leaning against the counter.

I was tempted to take another step back but I didn't. No way was I going to allow the big bully intimidate me and he seemed to have noticed the defiance on my face because he laughed, his eyes flashing with something

"So bold" He murmured.

"I come from a family of strong willed individuals" I told him, patting myself on the back for maintaining my ground.

"I can see that" He smiled.

I preened under his compliment and observation but if I had been attentive enough, maybe I would have seen that the smile did not touch his eyes and his words definitely had a hint of danger and gloom.

"I will see you during the weekend so we can go over the houses" I told him

"That is fine by me and maybe you will allow me treat you to some Italian delicacy"

"It is a deal" I said, stretching out a hand.

He stared at my hand for a while before taking it in his, enclosing my small hand in his strong and big ones. Then he did something I wasn't expecting, he brought it up to his lips and planted a kiss on it, leaving tingles running down my spine and to the tip of my toes.

"See you around, Diana" He murmured.