DANTE

DANTE

How could I not have recognized the face that I had been staring into these past weeks. The Rodrigues family was at the top of my revenge list for the death of my brother, Alexander.

He was a fool of course but it was my job as the successor of our clan to make sure that his death was avenged and although it had been quite hard to find a weak spot with the Rodrigues brothers, their sister on the other hand was a loose cannon.

I had had people watch her movement in New York and it was reported that she partied a lot and was known with such ill reputation that the men feared whatever she had to say to them. All the makings of a spoilt brat who had never had to work for anything in her entire life.

The clan had decided that I was to move to New York and begin my moves on the girl and so you can imagine my surprise at her presence in Italy. She was so far away from and blissfully unaware of the things I had planned for her.

I had to admit that the pictures did absolutely no justice to the woman I had almost knocked down and that was why I did not recognize her. She had stunning blue eyes and full lips begging to be ravished and her face was what you would call distinctive and rare. She was beautiful and looked absolutely as innocent as they come but I knew better and I knew what I wanted from her.

Immediately after our meeting, I had made sure to call up the front desk and make sure they direct her to the restaurant across town. Judging from the way she was dressed and the luggage, she did not look like she planned to stay long which meant my plans had to begin sooner rather than later.

I was sitting in the pub when she walked through the door and I was gobsmacked by how utterly stunning she looked with her purse clutched in small manicured hands and legs encased in a strap sandals. She looked as out of place as a flower would look in the restaurant.

"I want you to intimidate the girl that just stepped in so I can come to her rescue" I said to Luca who had his hands typing away at something on the computer

"Do I want to know what you are up to this time?" He answered

I smiled at this. Luca had been a good friend and that was the reason when he had come to me for a loan to set up his dream which was this restaurant, I had handed it over to him without asking for interest and had even allowed him set up in front of a well known hotel to attract foreigners who wanted to try out an Italian dish for the first time.

"Just intimidation, si?" he asked

"Yes, just that" I muttered

I watched him go over to where she had taken a food and began speaking rapid Italian while looking bored and I watched her face go from confusion to embarrassment as she tried explaining to him she wasn't Italian.

I smiled as I watched her discomfort with Luca towering over her small frame and maybe my pleasure was short lived because she had gotten up on her feet with her purse clutched even tighter in her hand as she glared at Luca, staring him down.

It was time for me to fly to the rescue and this I did with as much chivalry as I could muster

"What we call food?" She snapped at my comment about her eating habits

"Do not get me wrong, I think you Americans are quite okay but you eat too little and things that shouldn't... you know what, let us not get off on a wrong foot" I told her as I sat on her table, beckoning on her to join me.

"I was told they serve stuff foreigners can eat and I just wanted to get that without having to explain that I am not Italian" She huffed and sat, releasing her purse

I caught a whiff of her perfume as she slid into the seat next to me; it was flowery with another scent I could not quite place my hand on.

Typical white girl shit, I thought, my jaw hardening

"Luca can be a pain in the behind and you should never take him seriously" I flashed a smile at her

She only nodded and then whipped out her phone, staring at it with a frown on her face. It was rare for a girl to focus on her phone when I was sitting in front of them and I would have to admit I was quite... upset?

"You find your phone more interesting than human company, Diana?" I said

Her eyes snapped up to meet mine in confusion before they cleared replaced by embarrassment

"It is nothing like that, I am so sorry... I was just checking. You know what, never mind"

I smiled at this while she blushed furiously before dropping her phone and facing me.

"We met earlier when you..."

"Yes, I am sorry. I did not see you there" she interrupted

I raised both hands to show her it did not matter and I was making conversation.

"Can I ask what you are doing in Italy... a vacation perhaps?"

"It is more than that. You can say I am trying to discover myself outside so many... protocols" she said vaguely

So she had left her family for some rediscovering? I thought fleetingly

"Is it weird that I totally understand you?" I told her, placing my palms on the table.

I watched her eyes trail to them and then her lips part. She was definitely attracted to me and I did not even have to put in the work.

"Well, I would be in Italy for a long time and I was wondering if you know any real estate agent I can buy a home from?" She asked

I flashed pearly white teeth at her, my mind drifting to my cousin; Alejandro. He was into real estate and also part of the clan; his mother had married a French man and had moved away before returning with her husband dead and young Alejandro is tow.

"In fact, now that I think about it... I do know someone" I told her.