DIANA

DIANA

Being the only daughter of the Rodrigues family has been exactly what it was... thrilling and not to mention the fact that I was always spoiled silly by my brothers and parents which did nothing to help the manner in which I grew up.

I would admit I am spoilt and who wouldn't be when you have the world at your feet and everyone literally dying to be in your circle. I am a Rodrigues, being the richest family in all of New York and also insanely popular as my brother Jason has made his mark as the owner of one of the biggest clubs in New York; club forte and my other brother; Lucien was an artist and the very best as the New York times have clearly stated numerous times so why am I not feeling as fulfilled as I should and why is there like some hollow in my chest waiting to be filled by some achievement of my own.

Till next time, dear diary

I huffed as I threw the book as far away from me as possible. When my therapist had said that I needed to own a diary or something to document my feelings and maybe try to master them, I had had no idea it was going to be something as tedious as this. It was fun having to write down everything I was feeling including screams I could not as well voice out without sounding mad but this wasn't helping me. I had no idea what I wanted other than the fact that it wasn't to sit on my ass all day and jot things that have little or no meaning to the fact that I was slowly dying inside and I had no idea why.

I had everything I wanted and everything anyone could ever need and I would have loved to convince myself that I was happy with being who I am; Diana Rodrigues but inside the confines of my room and away from all that glamour, I sometimes wished I was anyone but me.

Do not get me wrong, I was not unhappy... far from it but it just had something to do with being more than all I have been programmed to be. I wanted something of my own and something I could proudly say I did without the help of my family and the family's name.

"Diana" My mother called out

She was a sweetheart and had always tried to keep on the strong façade ever since my father died but I knew it had not been easy for her trying to be the matriarch of our family.

"Coming, Mother" I yelled right back, rising to my feet.

I was going to feel sorry for myself later, right now my mother and I had to prepare for my brother's and their families.

"You called?" I asked as I stared down at my mother

"I need you to contact the catering services and ask if they are on their way. It will be no point if the food arrives after the guest now, would it?"

"I contacted them about ten minutes ago per your request and yes they are on their way" I retorted

My mother was a woman of paranoia and perfection. She always found a way to envision some pessimistic agenda even when there was none and she always grated on my nerves with the way she ran about anything my brothers and their families were in town and coming over for some family dinner

"Diana Rosemary Rodrigues! Do not make me repeat myself"

"Fine" I said and then proceeded to phone the catering service for the twentieth time that morning.

I informed her of their soon arrival and then watched as she hurried with a vase of flowers positioning it at the center of the table

"I have something to say, mother and before you begin rejecting my proposal... hear me out" I started

"Can it wait? I won't exactly be listening right now and might not catch you" My mother said absent mindedly

"It cannot wait and I just need a second"

My mother sighed and then turned to me with her hands resting lightly

"I need to work and I just wanted to inform you..."

"You want to work?" My mother interrupted, staring at me like I had lost my mind

"That is what I said" I snapped lightly, folding my arms as we watched each other

"Where is this coming from, Diana. I know you have gone through quite a lot and the own therapy thing is your way of coping but suggesting work? You have everything you need right here"

"That is the problem, mother. I have everything I need but I feel like I am missing out on the world and it is not helping matters that I have to always go out with a car and I am always escorted by a bodyguard."

"You know how popular we are and you know that it won't help if something were to happen to you" My mother said, drawing closer

"I need to work, mother and not only that. I want to discover myself outside this place and away from the glamour that has always followed me around and I hope that you of all people can understand that"

My mother sighed again but said nothing and when I saw she wasn't going to, I left her to her own vices. I wasn't angry that she wasn't seeing from my own point of view merely disappointed that I even had to explain why exactly I needed to be away from them and all my name entailed. I was always going to be under the shadow of the family and I did not want that anymore.

Maybe if I talked to Jason, he would understand what I want. He was the calmest and most understanding of us all and took after my father.

I collapsed on my bed and stared pointedly at the ceiling, it held stickers of dolphins of various colors. As a child I had always been obsessed by water and dolphins in particular and so I had designed my room with the intent of me being under the sea like Ariel the mermaid but I was a child any longer and the dolphins held no appeal to me anymore.

I turned to my side and stared out of the window, the hollow in my chest growing deeper.