TWENTY NINE

Mara opened her eyes to a white ceiling. She noticed two things almost immediately, that she wasn't in the basement or the den and she was lying down.

"I can see you are awake" A voice said, alerting her to the fact that she wasn't alone.

"Who are you?" Mara moaned as she tried turning.

The pain from her ankle shot up to her spine and she could barely move

"Do not try moving for now. That ankle is in bad shape and I have given you something to lessen the pain so you must be feeling groggy." The man said

He was a doctor which means they had docked somewhere

"I have been kidnapped" Mara started to say but stopped when the doctor pinned her with a stare.

Of course he knew she had been kidnapped

"I will give Alexander some drugs for your leg and you should be better in no time, miss Mara" He said.

This was him trying to let her know that he knew exactly who she was and how she was here on the yacht.

"Thank You" Mara muttered, her eyes darting around the room.

He nodded and left her alone. She waited for a while before trying to get up, her mouth set in a silent scream as her ankle protested her movement. If they had docked, it could only mean they were already on land and she could figure out a way to escape and maybe contact the police.

It wasn't easy getting to her feet but she did it anyways and then proceeded to the door; it was unlocked and she found that totally strange but she could see Alexander with his back turned to her.

"Stop sneaking around like that, I might think you are trying to escape" He called out even as his back was turned to her.

Mara froze and then slowly turned to him

"I can see you are better" He said, approaching her

"Yes, thank you" She muttered

"Good, I am expecting Lucien and you will be there to welcome him" He smiled and then grabbed her shoulders, planting a kiss on her lips and then slowly began working one hand down her back to her ass

Mara made no move which probably annoyed him because he pushed her away from him

"Bitch" He muttered, his eyes surveying her blank face.

Mara flinched internally, she wasn't about to give him the satisfaction of knowing he scared her and his touch repelled her

"Move it" He muttered, probing her in the back.

She moved in the direction he pushed her with her ankle protesting desperately, she noticed that the yacht was brimming with men and not just men but armed to the teeth and walking about like they were waiting for something.

"Victor, make her comfortable tied to a chair so that the first thing the Rodrigues sees when he comes up is her face" Alexander called out to his guard.

The man grinned and then took Mara's arm, dragging her roughly to the center of the yacht.

"I wonder what is about you that makes my boss so angry" He muttered as he strapped her to the chair.

Mara said nothing, she had no need to. She hoped against all hopes that Lucien had heard her and was far away from Italy but even as she thought it, she knew he wasn't that kind of man.

"He is here and he is alone" Victor called out to Alexander.

Mara's heart sank as soon as she saw Lucien; he had a gun in his hand and was pointing it in her direction as he climbed up. This was the reason Alexander had wanted her in his line of sight because immediately he saw her, his eyes widened and then he was rushing in her direction.

"You will stop there or her brains will grace your face" Alexander threatened as his gun connected with Mara's head.

Lucien stopped in his tracks, his eyes still on hers.

"You Rodrigues are so stupid, aren't you? Charging into my territory and placing a bounty on me. Now you are here alone because of some girl" He scoffed.

"Let her go and we can sort whatever it is between us" Lucien finally spoke.

"Whatever it is?" Alexander echoed and then began laughing.

He signaled to Victor who rounded to where Lucien stood and placed the gun to the back of his head.

"Drop the gun, motherfucker" Alexander bellowed.

Lucien complied, tossing his gun to where Alexander stood. He glanced at Mara who was shaking her head vigorously and trying to speak. He smiled then, at her... like they weren't in the most precarious of all situations and he did not have a gun to his head.

An alarm blared from the speaker in one corner and Alexander muttered strings of curses before he ducked, yelling for his men.

Lucien remained where he was but Mara was struggling with her ties, her wrists sore from trying.

Bullets suddenly exploded all around her, shattering glass and splintering wood and Lucien hit the floor almost immediately, taking the guy with the gun with him. They began struggling with each other with bullets flying around and Mara nowhere in sight; he also did not see Alexander.

Apparently Jason had gotten his note and had arrived with some men; he was more concerned about getting rid of the man above him and finding Mara.

They struggled until he began gaining the upper hand; one strike to the throat was all he needed as the man sagged beneath him

"Bastard" Lucien cursed, rising to his feet.

He nodded at his brother and then began racing all over the yacht in search of Mara; wherever Alexander had taken her, they were hidden good.

...

"Let go of me" Mara screamed as she struggled against the man dragging her deep into the basement.

He had freed her immediately everything went to shit and had taken her with him.

"Shut the fuck up" He cursed as he continued dragging her with him.

They tumbled into the basement and then he placed the gun to her head, stopping every move she was about to make.

"They will find us down here sooner or later so shut the fuck up or I swear I will leave a bullet in your head"

Lucien descended down the basement stairs trying to adjust his eyes to the darkness. His brother and some cops were rounding up the men still alive while he continued his search for Mara; he knew they could not have gotten off the yacht since Jason already had it surrounded.

"Welcome" Alexander's voice rang out as soon as he was down.

He had a gun to Mara's head and another hand grabbing her breast while she stood in front of him, her face streaked with tears.

"Drop the gun" Alexander told him

Lucien dropped the gun but made sure the one he had strapped to his back was easily accessible.

"Let her go" He growled.

"I sometimes wondered if the concept of love was a sham but it is quite obvious... you two" He laughed, grabbing Mara's breast tighter while she winced.

"Let her go" Lucien said again, his head throbbing and his ears filled with a dull roar.

Alexander smirked

"Toss the gun over to me" He countered.

Lucien did as he asked and tossed the gun which gave Mara ample chance to break away from his grasp as he bent over to pick the gun.

Two shots rang out in succession and then a loud scream as Mara collapsed to the ground dragging herself to where Lucien lay prone with blood spurting out of his bullet wound to the side of his head

"Lucien... no please, look at me... open your eyes" she wailed as she shook him.

Lucien's eyes fluttered open for a second as he gazed at her anguished face and then he smiled before the darkness called.