FIVE

Mara was hunched over her table when the door burst open and Lucien spilled in looking as delicious as he was angry. Her receptionist followed closely behind him, muttering apologies at the intrusion and not being able to stop it.

"Excuse us, Arianna; thank you." Mara said, her eyebrow arced at the man.

She waited until the door was closed before she spoke, her face showing annoyance.

"What do you want?" she asked.

Lucien came around to stand beside her, glancing outside the window; to the street below.

"I have been thinking about you." He said, his voice dangerous low.

I have been thinking about you too, Mara thought fleetingly as he turned around to face her.

His beautiful eyes hooded and showing barely contained anger.

What is he angry about? She asked herself.

"I don't see that as a solid reason for barging into my place of work and harassing my receptionist." Mara said, eyeing him.

"You have not been taking my calls, Mara Sinclair and I am not one to be so rudely ignored after what happened." Lucien said, towering over her.

He watched her swallow, her eyes flicker briefly over his features and was satisfied to see that he was affecting her just as she was, him.

"It was just one kiss, get over yourself; Lucien." Mara answered, her eyes trailing the length of him.

He was in her personal space and it was affecting her deeply but she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of moving back.

"Just one kiss in front of the whole world. Was that what it was to you?" He asked, drawing her out of her chair.

Mara stumbled but was caught by his arm coming around her waist as he held her close to him. She did not struggle neither did she answer his question. They merely held each other's gaze, panting softly until his eyes left hers; reaching for her lips.

Her tongue snaked out of its own accord to add moisture to her lower lip and he groaned, looking visibly distressed.

"Let go of me, Lucien." Mara said softly, her eyes never leaving his face.

He did as she asked, releasing her slowly whilst taking a deep breath.

"Why exactly are you here?" She asked, hoping... waiting.

"I wanted to see you" Lucien replied and then laughed bitterly, running his fingers through his hair.

"You have seen me" Mara stated calmly.

Lucien turned his eyes to her, staring with such intensity that it took her breath away.

"I have been trying to paint you, there is something that I am missing." He said softly, his hand coming up to trace her jaw and trail the side of her face.

Mara closed her eyes against the heat that seared her skin and the ripples going up and down her spine, she said nothing and made no move; only gazed up at him as he traced her face with his fingers.

He took a step towards her, closing the distance between them but she took none back, her lips tingled where he had traced and his hand crept slowly to the back of her neck, drawing her closer to him.

She waited and anticipated; her body warm and willing.

His lips descended, hovering over hers as if to ask if it was what she wanted. Mara drew closer and that was enough answer as he took her lips, forcing it open with his tongue. His arm wrapped around her waist as he molded her to the length of him, parting his legs slightly.

Mara moaned as his tongue touched hers and as they both waged war in her mouth, her hands came up to his neck, touching the tips of his hair. She wanted more of him, so much more and she planned to take.

Her hand found its way into his shirt, trailing his toned stomach, one finger resting gently on a perked nipple.

A groan escaped Lucien's throat at the contact her cold hands made against his bare skin, this was what it felt like to fully be infatuated; he could hardly get enough of her and he made his disapproval at the clothes between them known.

"Too many clothes." He groaned, his arm leaving her neck to button the suit jacket she was wearing.

She made no move to stop him as both her hands were already inside his shirt.

Lucien found what he was looking for, skin and although he wanted them naked against each other; he made do with touching her stomach and trailing his fingers over her hard nipples through her brassiere.

Mara's fingers dug into his back as he nudged her gently onto the table to get more access.

"We should not be doing this." Mara gasped, coming up for air.

"Why not?" Lucien choked out, his fingers seeking the hook of her bra.

"We just shouldn't" Mara reiterated.

Lucien let go of her, his eyes filled with so many emotions he did not want her to see; so he looked away.

They stayed silent for a while before he spoke up again

"Be my girlfriend."

"What?" Mara asked.

She wasn't sure she had heard him correctly.

"We both do not want anything too serious and we have business we want to give our full attention. The press is going to hound us until they get some substantial response and I know my brother and Elizabeth have been trying to pair us for quite a while now. This is the best way to resolve everything, we could pretend like we are in a relationship and then after a year, we can break it up. We would have both gotten what we want."

"Yes, but I don't think I want to lie to Liz." Mara countered

"You won't be exactly lying to her, just leaving major details of the arrangement out." He said smiling at the confused look on her face.

"Let's say we do this; I need us to draft up a contract with a set of rules and regulations."

"What sort of rules, Mara Sinclair." Lucien said, drawing closer to where she sat.

"First, you can't kiss me without permission." Mara said, glaring at him.

He looked at her with all the innocence he could muster.

"When then, can I kiss you?"

"Never" Mara said through gritted teeth.

Lucien bent until he was eye to eye with her and lips to lips, he watched her eyes widen in alarm and her breath hitch in her throat.

"I am going to have a serious problem with that rule." He murmured

Me too! Mara's mind screamed.