s l e e p o v e r

Lexington

After school, Mercy invited me to a sleepover with her, Mya, and Lucas' little sister. I accepted, because I have nothing better to do. I'm going over house at 5, so I have an hour and a half to get ready.

My mom was about to leave in a little bit, so I went downstairs to chill with her. She was laying on the couch watching My Wife and Kids. I kissed her on her forehead, and sat down with her, but with her legs on my lap.

"Baby squeeze my big toe" She told me. I chuckled, looking at her. "What you looking at? Rub my feet" She put her head up waiting for me to start rubbing her feet. When I got tired of looking at her, I start rubbing her feet and she put her head back down.

"I talked to dad today" I decided to spark a conversation. She got up quick as hell. "How did he get your number? Did you tell him where we were?" She stood up and started pacing back and forth.

"I called him because I hadn't talked to him in a while. Was I not supposed to tell him where we were?" I was scared. She sat down next to me, and took a breath.

"Baby, do you know why we all left?" I shook my head no. "We all left, because your father was abusing me. Not just physically, but sexually. Kingston and I didn't want to tell you. You would've known, but he never did it when you were around. He didn't want his little princess to know what he does. Now tell me what he said" I put my head down.

"When he asked where we were, I said Rochester, New York. He said that he would be here to visit tomorrow, because he missed us twins, and you. He said that he really needed to talk to you. And then he asked for the address. I told him. He said that he had got a job working at a smoke shop, or whatever. He'll be here at 12 tomorrow. Mommy I'm sorry. I didn't know. If I --" She pulled me into a hug and shushed me.

"It was my fault, I shouldn't of kept something so big from you." She rocked me in her arms, and I broke down. Kingston came running down the stairs in his work uniform. "What's wrong? What happened?" He knelt down in front of mommy and I.

"Your dad knows where we are. Lexi had talked to him, and since she didn't really know what happened, and why we left. She had told your father where we are. He said he'll be here tomorrow at 12." He looked at me, and kissed me on my forehead.

"I'll figure something out. Kingston I need you to take your sister to her friend's house, and for you to go to work. I'll figure something out with your father" Kingston stood up looking at mom, with an upset look plastered on his face.

"No the hell you're not! Do you not know what that man is capable of? Did he not beat you enough to show you that you can't face him alone? Hell no! I'm not leaving you here at all tomorrow, by yourself. I'm going to work and so are you. When you get home at 5 tomorrow morning, I'll be here, waiting. I want you to call me as soon as you get off of work . Plain and simple. Now I'm taking Lexi to Mercy's house. When you get to work, call me, so I know you're there. Okay?" Mom nodded without saying another word.

"Mercy go get your bag" I kissed my mom on the cheek and went upstairs. I've never seen King like that. I really wished I never made that call. Some shit is about to go down. Now I regret never being home back then. If I was home, my mom wouldn't of been hurt.

I remember I saw her with a bruise on her face one day. She just said that a resident didn't get their pills and went crazy. I believed her because I've been to her job before, and she got some crazy ass residents.

They old white people. Who don't like black people. One man, had the confederate flag as his blanket. That was the first time, I noticed how bad it was. At the time, I was eleven. I would just wonder like... These black people are taking care of your old Grinch ass. They could just smother you, and people would think you died of a natural cause.