p r o o f

The best way

to show that a stick is crooked

is not to argue about it

or to spend time denouncing it,

but to lay a straight stick alongside

D.L. Moody

OmniscientPOV

Terry cradled Mercy in her arms, crying her eyes out. Mercy was already unconscious because of all the blood she lost.

The undercover cops came in and were shocked at what they saw.

The paramedics rushed in with a stretcher, and placed Mercy onto it. Terry followed them out to the truck and rode to the hospital with Mercy.

As they rushed to the hospital, Mason called everyone and told them what happened. The detectives tried to talk to Mason, but he was just phased by what just happened.

After he called everyone, he got in his car, and drove to the hospital. When he got there, everybody was there. Mya was weeping into Darnell's chest. Grandma Viv was crying silent tears rocking Trell.

Maurice sat next to her, with his elbows on his knees, everyone just looked depressed. Terry and Tessa were also in the hospital, but they were pacing back and forth. Like mother like daughter.

Mason saw the doctor come out, he looked up as she called,"Family for Mercy Grey" He shot up quick. "I am her father" He told the doctor. That statement caught everyone off guard except Grandma Viv, Tessa, and the doctor.

No one said anything because it wasn't the right time, but in their heads they were wondering.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Herrera. Bad news, or good news first?" The doctor asked, gnawing on her lip. "Hit me with the bad first, Doc" Mason said, shoving his hands in pockets.

"Well, unfortunately Mercy was shot in her stomach, and it killed the baby growing inside of her. The good news is that, she'll be okay. She passed out due to lack of blood, but she's okay now. She can leave tomorrow. We just have to stitch up her stomach." The doctor said

"Can we see her?" Mya asked quickly.

"Yes, you may see her" The doctor laughed a little, at the quickness of Mya's question. Everyone grabbed their belongings, and followed the doctor to Mercy's room.

When they all were down the hall from her room, they heard her loud laugh. "Oh, we got Netflix in all the rooms. And before I had left her room, she was watching Katt Williams" The doctor laughed

No one laughed, because they were all in shock, that Mason is her dad. When they reached her room, they saw a smiling Mercy. It looked as if the death of her unborn child, didn't even effect her.

Mercy

I know what y'all thinking. Why aren't you busting out crying? Why are you so happy? And all that bull. But listen. I've been through a lot. The only way I can usually mask my pain, is by laughing.

"Who is her legal guardian?" The doctor asked. Everybody looked around at each other. Eventually, all eyes landed on Mason.

"I'm her legal guardian." Mason raised his hand

"Can you sign these papers? They read that you give us permission to run any tests that we need to on Mercy"

Mason signed the papers. "Can you all give me a minute with Mercy? Alone?" Mason asked. Everyone nodded their heads.

"I'll bring you your homework tomorrow at 3:30" Mya told me. I nodded my head. Everyone left the room, and it was just me and Mason. Together. In awkward silence.

"Mercy. This isn't going to easy for me to say. I know you have a lot going on right now. Well with the death of your unborn child and all. But I just want to tell you that you're father is here" He put his hand over heart.

Hold up.

Pause.

Rewind this bitch.

"Father?"

"Yes"

"My father died when I was born. He got hit by an ambulance" I told him what my mom told Terrance to tell me.

"Who told you that?" He asked

"Terrance. Well Terrance told me that my mom wanted to tell me. But she never lived to tell me. So he told me" I shrugged

"And you believed him?" He said with a smirk

"Yes" I said without a care

"I'm your father. Plain and simple. If you want a DNA test to show that I'm your father, we can get one right now. We already here" He put his hand on the doorknob

"Yes. I want a DNA test. I'm tired of lies. If you are my father. I want it on paper. Telling me, that you are indeed my father" I said with a death stare.

"Fine" He said leaving the room, and slamming the door with a bit of force.

************

Boring chapter. I know. I've been going through some bullshit.

More to come next week. I promise. I'm debating if I should bring back

Lucas. Or not. I'll figure it out.

I'm tired of asking questions. Just comment throughout the damn book.

UPDATE NEXT MONDAY!

VOTE AND/OR COMMENT!