Part 173 - Labour (part 1)

"Breath for me, baby. I know it's hurting. I know, pretty girl. Breathe through it. Breathe, angel." Rhea was beside me on the hospital bed. Holding my hand and speaking against my fingers.

"Oh my god..." I rolled my head back, groaning and closing my eyes.

Contractions had only started twenty minutes ago, and came and go, but when they came they were so damned painful.

"You're killing me here, Flo. If I had known you wanted to do this completely fucking natural I would have been more prepared for this." She snapped it by my ear, upset she had only just found out I didn't want any help or painkillers.

I was nearly sure I was going to end up changing my mind in the moment, because holy hell... but I was going to hold off on it as long as I can.

The pain settled and slowly I came back down and normally again. "Hey, you ok?" Rhea checked.

"Yeah." I breathed out, taking a few deep breaths I really needed.

I got shot, I can do this. This is for me.

For her.

For us.

I held Rheas hand and she came closer to me as she could, looking so worried for me. "This is gonna suck." I got out, trying to lighten the mood.

"I know and I'm so sorry, baby. Just think of our boy, okay?"

I chuckled fakely. "Our boy? Our cockblock you mean?"

Rhea gave me a look. "You're still horny?"

I shrugged and lied down flat. Then I looked at Rhea-

"No, Flo. We definitely aren't doing anything now." Rhea said strongly and I knew there was no convincing. Actually, it could be very bad if we did that, so I better get a grip.

Knocks sounded at the door and my doctor and midwife came in, giving me a check over and making sure everything was going okay. Rhea didn't leave my side, listening to everything they were saying.

"Your blood pressure is a bit high, Florence. As difficult as it is, try to keep calm okay? Everything is going fine." My doctor told me, and I nodded.

Rhea sat up. "What do you mean it's a bit high?"

I looked at her. "Calm down, hey? Just a little, I'm just a bit stressed."

For obvious reasons.

Rheas face softened at me and she was so worried, I hated it.

"Just relax as best you can, Florence. It's possible you guys will be here for a while. There's still a way to go." My midwife told us and they got up to leave. "We'll be back to check on you shortly." My midwife looked to Rhea who was looking at her. "I'm sure your lovely wife here will let us know if you need anything."

Oh, she was a bit sassy with that too.

Rhea looked like she was annoyed and but her tongue at her reply. Until they left the room.

"Lovely wife." She mumbled. "Fucking bitch. My wife is in labour, of course I'm going to be fucking concerned and ask-"

"Rhea." I got her attention. "It's alright. To be fair, at our last appointment you asked her if it was really necessary for her to stick her fingers up my-"

"Got it, Flo." She cut me off and rolled her eyes.

A couple calming minutes later, another few knocks came at the door. "What?" Rhea snapped.

It slowly opened and Doms head popped in, small smile. "Hey!"

I smiled. "Hey!"

Rhea looked at me. "What the fuck is he doing here?" Then she looked back to Dom. "I didn't invite you to come and visit, did I?"

Dom looked at me nervously.

"I did." I told Rhea and she rolled her eyes again. Then she swore when Dom came inside, followed by a smiley Damien and Ellie, an eager Finn and happy JD. "I didn't know I was at fucking work." Rhea mumbled.

"Hey." Damien lent down to give me a hug, which I adored. Followed by Ellie.

Rhea ignored them all, mainly paying attention on me.

After some small talk between the group, about how everything was going, Damien and Ellie pulled out a small gift. "It's from all of us." Dom added, Finn blushing in the corner too.

I gasped in happiness and grabbed the bag, smiling at Rhea, offering her to help open it.

She ushered me to just open it and I carefully opened the bag, pulling out this extremely tiny shirt. I was already grinning, but giggled when I read what was on it.

Two Mami's are better than one.

Rhea softly grabbed the shirt from me and read it, and she looked at me, and... was she?

Was she tearing up?

Oh, what?

Rhea gave me the shirt and sat back, taking a breath, avoiding everyone's eyes.

"Woah, hey hey? You ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She brushed it off and rubbed at her eye.

I glanced at Dom who was smiling a little. "Those are happy tears." He said. "She loves the shirt."

I looked back to Rhea, and she was glaring at Dom, like he was right.

I looked at the shirt again.

"There's another." Damien said and I peeked in the bag, and there sure was.

I pulled out the second shirt and read that sweet white one.

If mami says no, ask other mommy.

Oh my god, I nearly cried.

I showed it to Rhea beside me proudly, and she looked away, breathing out, obviously trying not to cry now.

Oh, this was really only just hitting her?

Now?

A minute or so later, the contractions came back and Rhea helped me through the painful time as best as she could. The boys and Ellie in the background, unsure of how they can help. Dom offered a foot rub, back rub and even a pelvic rub.

After that one, Rhea kicked them out for a while, telling them to come back later on as it was going to be a while.

When it was just us again, I turned to her. "Are you ok? You got really upset."

Rhea breathed out. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just-" she cleared her throat. "I guess I'm only now just realising you're about to have our fucking baby. Like it's not just, it's not the future anymore. It's now."

Was she not happy about that. "Are you scared or?"

"No, angel." She tucked some of my hair behind my ear. "I'm so fucking happy. I couldn't be so fucking proud of you. Excited. I'm so- you have lit up my whole life, baby."

My. Little. Heart.

"You make me happy." I told her.

Rhea put her gentle hand on my belly. "You both make me happy."