xliii

• third person •

Luca was completely still, frozen.

This wasn't how he remembered her.

Of course, now his daughter was that age.

And his sister... is now an adult.

Not... his baby sister anymore...

Luca shook his head, stepping back again, almost bumping into (Y/N) behind him. (Y/N)'s eyes widened, beginning to process exactly what was going on.

"You're Auntie Lucien?" she exclaimed softly. "I've really wanted to meet you..." she mumbled. "Dad always tells me things about you."

At that, Lucien only began to sob. She lowered her head, her shoulders shaking, slowly beginning to sink to the floor.

Luca took in a harsh breath, pained cries escaping him as he shook his head at (Y/N), before kneeling down before his little sister.

"You've grown so much... Look at you," he whispered. "You're all big..."

"You're a dad..!" Lucien exclaimed, attempting to wipe her eyes. "And Ilse... Ilse's... gone..?"

Luca pressed his forehead against his little sister's as his eyes clamped shut, nodding. "A long time ago," he wept. "I'm sorry, Lucien..."

Gradually, they helped each other up.

(Y/N) watched in silence when they hugged for a long time. She didn't know what to do.

Though, for some reason, a strange feeling dwelled at the pit of her stomach.

"What are you doing here..?" Luca whispered, wiping her tears with his thumb. "You shouldn't be here..."

Lucien's gaze fell. "Your voice..."

Luca smiled softly. "Has it changed..? Yours definitely has..."

Lucien nodded.

And then, she heaved a sigh, stepping back. (Y/N) had shut the front door.

"I just... I need to hide with you for a bit..." she mumbled.

"(Y/N), can you go upstairs and check on Leon for me?" Luca asked quietly.

(Y/N) frowned. "But-"

"I promise you can talk to Auntie Lucien all you want later. You know I haven't seen her in a long time."

Again, that feeling. (Y/N) stepped away, before rushing upstairs.

Luca turned back towards Lucien. "What do you mean? Hide..? If they find you they'll take you to court..!"

"No, I..." Lucien gulped, glancing around. "I think they want to kill me. I'm so glad I found you," she whispered.

"Kill you..?!" Luca exclaimed beneath his breath. "Why..?!"

Her eyes clamping shut, Lucien took a deep breath. "I've just made a mess of everything... And recently Uncle's remains were found in Snezhnaya. They think I killed him..! How would I have killed him..?! His minions want to get their revenge..!!"

Luca's pupils shook. "Oh."

"I don't even know what he was doing in Snezhnaya..! I thought he was going to hurt you..!"

Lucien paced a little, her breathing shaky, her shoulders tense. "They're all on my case... I don't even want to run this damn business anymore... They never taught me a thing and now are surprised that it's all just a mess... Our parents are old now, and they just keep murmuring things about how they wish you didn't betray them... But you didn't..! You just..."