xxxix

• third person •

"Oh Archons. What on earth? What was he thinking?!"

Crepus paced back and forth, running his hands through his hair. Kaeya frowned.

"Father... let's try to keep quiet..."

Crepus' eyes clamped shut, sighing aloud, holding his face in his hand. "Who comes home almost deathly wounded and doesn't think to get treated first," he muttered beneath his breath. "That family drives me crazy!"

Taking a deep breath, Crepus lifted his head. The clouded moonlight illuminated the large hall of the Cathedral. His gaze softened. "How is (Y/N)?"

Kaeya looked away. "She was having panic attacks. I don't think she can talk right now."

Crepus' gaze fell. "I see."

What on earth happened on that trip..?

"What about you? Are you alright?"

Kaeya raised his head in confusion. A warm but bittersweet smile spread across his father's face. "You were right there. You must have been quite shaken up. I'm sorry, son."

"You also look quite down regardless... Is something else on your mind?"

"Uh- I-" Kaeya laughed, scratching the back of his head, "I'm fine, Father. It's okay. I'm not the one to be worried about right now."

Crepus' head tilted. Kaeya blinked when he gestured for him to come over, doing so, slightly perplexed.

Kaeya's face warmed when his father ruffled his hair, pulling him into a gentle hug.

"Well, if anything's weighing down on you, you can always come talk to me about it, if you need some advice."

Kaeya's eye fluttered shut, snuggling into his father's shoulder. "Thank you, Father..."

It was silent inside one of the treatment rooms of the Cathedral.

(Y/N) gripped her father's hand, her breath so shaky, so heavy as she tried to control it, but it was so, so difficult.

Tears dripped into her lap, her entire body trembling in fright, as if everything she had known to love could have been destroyed within moments.

This is what she got. This was what she deserved.

She was warned. And she didn't listen.

How pathetic. How stupid.

Look at what you've done.

"Ugh..."

(Y/N)'s head shot up.

"(Y/N)..." she heard a whisper. "Are you okay..?"

That was all that was needed for her to burst into tears once more.

Her grasp on her father's hand tightened, the room only filling with her cries, her father staring so solemnly at her, like his entire world was breaking apart just at the sight of a single of her teardrops.

"I'm alright," he mumbled with a smile. "It was just a wound... Why are you crying so hard, silly..? You'll make me cry..."

"I thought you were gonna leave me too," (Y/N) sobbed. "I thought you were gone. I thought you were gone like Mommy."

Just like that, tears trickled down the sides of Luca's face.

Carefully, he pulled her towards the bed, slowly reaching out. (Y/N) lowered her head, before he pressed a kiss upon her forehead.

"I would never do that to you, my sweetest. I am so sorry."

(Y/N) climbed onto the bed, her father instantly tugging her in, letting her snuggle in as much as she needed. She wept for a long time, though, with the soft brushes through her hair and the gentle kisses upon her forehead, eventually, the young girl had fallen asleep.