xxiii

• third person •

"You should take one of these each day of your period. This should ease the pain and decrease the heaviness of the flow."

(Y/N) nodded, staring at the tablets the doctor had given her.

"Thank you," she mumbled, fiddling with her dress.

"No worries. Is there anything else?"

(Y/N) glanced at Master Crepus, shaking her head. Crepus simply smiled at her, before doing the same.

"Thank you, Doctor. The payment has already been sorted."

"Alright." The doctor stood with a beam. "Take care then. Remember to take them every morning, with some food!"

"Okay," (Y/N) replied. "Bye bye."

With that and another goodbye, the doctor left the winery. (Y/N) stared at her lap in silence.

"Are you feeling better today?" Master Crepus asked warmly, sitting in front of her.

(Y/N) nodded once again, fiddling with her fingers. "Just hurts a little. Nowhere near as much as before though... hehe..."

A soft sigh escaped her lips, unable to keep the smile on her face.

"I'm sorry, Master Crepus," she whispered.

Crepus tilted his head. "Why are you apologising? You've been very brave. I don't even think I could go through such pain! Women have it so tough in this world, you know."

(Y/N) let out a small breath. Crepus reached out his hands, allowing her to place her smaller ones into his. Crepus' lips curved proudly.

"Adelinde told me you were asking for your father. Do you remember?"

"I-I was?" (Y/N)'s face reddened. "Oh, how embarrassing..."

Crepus broke out into a chuckle. "Apparently you swore! Haha!"

(Y/N) slapped her mouth. "I did?! I-I- I'm sorry!! Wh-why did I- Why would I swear for-?! Oh god..."

With a hearty laugh, Crepus patted (Y/N)'s head, grinning wide. "Don't worry about it. I would swear too if I was going through that much pain! I just wanted to ask if..." his face gradually turned a bit more serious again, but it was still warm and welcoming, "you really want your father to come back. I can let him know, if you want. He'll be on his way back immediately, if you say the word."

(Y/N) pursed her lips.

She moved her hand from Master Crepus' hold, fiddling with her dress in a moment of silence.

"No..." she mumbled. "I want him to enjoy himself... He'll only get really worried if I make him come back only days after he left, haha." (Y/N) scratched the back of her neck. "Plus... now I realise... I have a very caring support network around me so... I... don't need to just rely on Dad anymore..."

(Y/N) giggled, yet Crepus could see the tears glossing over her eyes.

He knew how much she wanted her father back. Unfortunately, just like her father would for her, she would always sacrifice her happiness for him.

A soft sigh left Crepus' lips, holding out his arms. The tears instantly slipped down (Y/N)'s cheeks as she fell into his embrace, weeping so softly in his hold that wasn't so different from her own father's. Crepus rubbed her back, delicately stroking her hair.

Crepus had watched this little girl grow up. To see her heart gradually becoming more and more broken the more she grew... it was a fate he never wanted to put upon anyone.