viii

• third person •

It had been three hours now.

Diluc's body couldn't handle it anymore.

He collapsed to the ground, his sword clattering in the process.

"You have to take a break now, okay?" His father stared down at him, frowning.

Diluc attempted to push himself up. His vision wavered. "I can still..."

"No," Master Crepus interrupted. "Go and rest."

Diluc frowned. He was unable to lift himself up from the floor.

Carefully, his father lifted him up. Diluc shook his head. "Father..!"

"Something is bothering you," Crepus discerned. "Get some rest, and you can tell me later if you wish."

Diluc's eyebrows furrowed, hiding his face with a defeated scowl as Crepus carried him out of the training room.

He brought his son up to his bedroom, tucking him delicately into his bed. Diluc avoided his gaze, stuffing his face into his pillow.

With a heavy sigh, Crepus stood straight, as his son turned away from him.

"I'll bring you some grape juice."

Diluc was silent. Crepus had left the room.

The front door creaked open once Crepus had reached downstairs. His eyes softened.

"Ah, Kaeya! You're back," he exclaimed. "Is (Y/N) alright?"

The young Kaeya closed the door, a small pout becoming of his lips. "Still sick," he mumbled. "She keeps telling me not to visit. She doesn't want me to get sick too."

"That's understandable..." Crepus approached his son, ruffling his hair in endearment. Kaeya's eye closed with an abashed smile. "I'm sure she still appreciates it."

"Where's Diluc? You look a bit exhausted, Father," Kaeya commented.

"Ah, haha..." Crepus rubbed the back of his neck. "He's resting at the moment from a training session. Hey, Kaeya..."

Kaeya blinked as his father leant down slightly, whispering. "Do you know if anything has been bothering Diluc lately?"

Perplexed, little Kaeya tapped his chin, tilting his head. An apologetic smile reached Crepus' lips. "Hmm... he has seemed a little... withdrawn from me recently... He might be stressed because of the exams... He's really determined to get in."

"Is that so..?" Crepus sighed. "Is that all?"

"Dunno." The young Kaeya shrugged. "Shall I talk to him? I haven't really had the chance to speak to him properly these past few days. I feel like he's always training or studying... And anytime we are together he avoids looking at me suddenly..."

"Did I..." Kaeya's gaze fell, his eyebrows knitting, "do something wrong..?"

"Oh, Kaeya." To his surprise, Kaeya's father grabbed his shoulders, shaking his head disapprovingly. "Of course not. He must be just stressed. I feel he doesn't want to talk to me right now since I forced him to rest, so could you perhaps bring him up some grape juice and try to have a chat with him?"

"Ew..."

Kaeya cleared his throat, nodding.

"I-I mean. Yes, Father. I'll try my best."

Soon enough, Kaeya had grabbed a carton of Diluc's favourite grape juice from the kitchen, before making his way upstairs. He had knocked on Diluc's door a few times, though, after inciting no reply, he carefully pushed open the door.